Validating web pages

Guest fubar::chi

ok anna brought this up in another section but i'm pretty much clueless as how to do it. I managed to get my other home page valid http://uhaweb.hartford.edu/obennett/welcome.htm by some miracle while using the validator but my new one http://www.I-Kubed.Org/index.html is really hard to do. Something about the <link> not being where it should. Any ideas on what i'm doing wrong cause I have not a clue i'm using transitional 4.01

fubar, just a quick answer, can't do more, I am at work now :wink:

Your new site:

- put a doctype specification into your start site (is it index.hmtl?)

- the meta thingies belong into <head> ...</head>

When trying to validate the source of the following content site I am getting 15 errors ...

I have no clue what error you were seeing but...

If you ran this URL through the validator http://www.i-kubed.org/index.html

and got this "Fatal Error: No DOCTYPE specified!"

it is just because your site host has set your page inside a frame which is what is being checked by the validator.

Otherwise, I saved a copy of your index.html page on my system and ran it through as a local file. It only showed one miner error you will be able to easily fix on line 242.

well i fixed the little problem scoopy pointed out and now 18 more popped. including that <link> error i was talking about earlier

::edit::

only one error now, <link> blah ...

Now everything is valid except the help section. ugh. That's going to be a chore.

This has to be between the <head> and <//head> tags:

<link href="css/site.css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" type="text/css" title="Main stylesheet">

Not too sure about the rest of the errors, but most seem to be similiar, such as the <p> and <h1> type tags. I just recently fixed a similiar <h4> tag error by replacing with this:

<p class="h4"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Schuylkill County Youth Soccer

</span></p>

I love the fact that you can't access that site with IE (I tried while at work).  That's great!  And the error message that you get is definitely a good one.
it was all good and fun till it started bugging me, cause now I can't see it when i'm in some of my classes during "downtime". I could follow my own advice but i'd be installing software onto lab comps that everyone else uses. i don't wanna do that.

eh, it late, brain no good.

Nice little buttons on the bottom of your site, fubar :D

Isn't scoopy great?

The only question left is: In Opera and Mozilla (with the standard fonts settings) your main text, not the titles, is displayed on my system in 'serif' - it that your intention?

When I change the font settings manually in the browsers then I get, of course, the chosen font, f.e. sans serif.

When I am back home I'll take a look at your css. It's my way of learning.