Cannot play dvd discs [solved?]

Trio3b

Mandriva 2009 on Compaq CQ50 with Optiarc AD7580S DVD drive.

Cannot play dvd's. Tried:

Dragon player

Totem

Mplayer

Kaffeine

According to MCC libdvdcss2 and win32codecs are installed but no luck.

Most players get the audio but no video except for mplayer which does display some badly broken video, but I have to open each file in the media/cdrom folder

I keep thinking that there is some firmware DRM/region lock on the dvd drive . Is this possible and how do I find out?

Also, why is this drive referred to as a cdrom and not dvd drive in fstab?

Any help appreciated

Edited by Trio3b

I have had problems with broken video through DVD and I have libdvdcss installed also. I don't know what it is, but I have a funny idea that they changed something recently in new DVD's. Older ones are generally OK, although I'm not sure as I didn't test all of mine.

Have you tried vlc? It's quite a good media player, and might solve the problem. I had problems with totem or mplayer I think, and I switched to this, and it fixed my problems, but I think it didn't fix my DVD problem - but worth a shot all the same.

Kaffeine uses xine so that is not the problem here.

Trio3b:

Have you tried different DVD's?

Not yet. Will have a go and let you know.

Mplayer did display video but very broken (not choppy).. looks more like one of those paint by number images. Disabled compiz and other resource-hungry stuff but no luck.

Installed vlc (plf version from MCC) but upon playing disc, video window opens (black) for about 2 seconds then whole application shuts off.

Another thread indicates firmware flash to disable/reset region lock on the optical drive. anyone heard of this?

Thanks

Edited by Trio3b

With broken video, this is something to do with the decoding process so that you can view it. The fact it's broken, is because it's not been decoded properly. This is what I've at least come to learn from this, since none of the packages will play the particular DVD that I want to watch.

These are original DVD's too. I don't either believe it's a hardware problem, so change of media and/or hardware wouldn't fix it. I need to dig deeper into it, but I don't tend to watch DVD's on my laptop much anyway which is why I've let it ride for the time being and not found a solution. It won't be region problem either.

With broken video, this is something to do with the decoding process so that you can view it. The fact it's broken, is because it's not been decoded properly. This is what I've at least come to learn from this, since none of the packages will play the particular DVD that I want to watch.

These are original DVD's too. I don't either believe it's a hardware problem, so change of media and/or hardware wouldn't fix it. I need to dig deeper into it, but I don't tend to watch DVD's on my laptop much anyway which is why I've let it ride for the time being and not found a solution. It won't be region problem either.

I don't watch DVDs much on the lappy either but it would be nice. Just wanted to make sure I don't have some DRM'd firmware on this optical drive that would only work with the original OS (Vista).

You have the burner 8GB bilateral working on the interface S-ATA

22x DVD burner with SATA interface, compatible with all DVD formats.

Works with systems, Windows Millennium Edition (Me) / Windows Vista X86, X64, Windows 2000 Professional, XP Home Edition / Professional.

In addition, the drive has SecurDisc function that enables data security and control access to the contents of CD and DVD.

I think that Linux and the advise and you do not need any firmware, but look for information. Ideally connected to the company and a DVD drive separately.

http://www.bitburners.com/archives-05-07/h...d-writers/3315/

....Lex

Most players get the audio but no video except for mplayer which does display some badly broken video, but I have to open each file in the media/cdrom folder

I keep thinking that there is some firmware DRM/region lock on the dvd drive . Is this possible and how do I find out?

Also, why is this drive referred to as a cdrom and not dvd drive in fstab?

Any help appreciated

Have you ever successfully played back DVDs with that DVD drive? I mean under Windows or an older/different version of Linux?

If not then maybe the drive is really defective.

Open a terminal window and do "tail -f /var/log/messages" as root user before attempting to play back a dvd next time, so you can see if it generates any system error messages.

If you can get hold of a external USB dvd drive, try connecting that and playing back DVDs from that, if that works then at least you know that your software and libraries installed are ok and therefore the problem is with this particular drive.

Edited by tux99

You have the burner 8GB bilateral working on the interface S-ATA

22x DVD burner with SATA interface, compatible with all DVD formats.

Works with systems, Windows Millennium Edition (Me) / Windows Vista X86, X64, Windows 2000 Professional, XP Home Edition / Professional.

In addition, the drive has SecurDisc function that enables data security and control access to the contents of CD and DVD.

I think that Linux and the advise and you do not need any firmware, but look for information. Ideally connected to the company and a DVD drive separately.

http://www.bitburners.com/archives-05-07/h...d-writers/3315/

....Lex

Sorry, not quite sure what you are trying to say. I have read other forums indicating this drive does have some firmware that may make it difficult to play DVDs on systems other than Windows.

Someone suggested executing "hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd" as root because linux is DMA checking all drives and looking for data packet flaws. Link here.

Have read hdparm man but too much of a newb to decipher. Does this sound reasonable? I don't find a /dev/dvd. I can only assume I would replace this with /media/cdrom because this is what I have listed in fstab for the drive.

Thanks

Edited by Trio3b

Well, I've checked. The hdparm thing doesn't work, it cannot be set on the drive. It complains with an ioctl error and says it cannot be set. Just to let you know, the only way I can attempt to play a DVD is with mplayer, and even then the pictures are five seconds or so behind the sound.

It's definitely an issue with libdvdcss or libdvdread or whichever you have.

Do not worry about the location of the dvd / media.

Try

urpmi mencoder

mplayer dvd: / / 3

I read, if there is such a path, and not the basis for 1 or 2, and enter

cat / etc / fstab