Pixel's leaving

ffi

Date:Thursday 08 January 2009 00:18 

Author:Anne Nicolas-2 

Hi all 

Pixel will leave Mandriva in the beginning of February. We would like to take the opportunity to thank him for his commitment and endeavour whilst at Mandriva and we wish him every success in his future activities. 

«After many years at Mandrake/Mandriva, I'm leaving. I'm moving to one of my first loves: functional programming languages, far away from perl and system programming. For this I had to accept to go to the dark side, write proprietary software. Life is tough! I left behind many (too many?) lines of perl, but i'm currently pouring my brain into some folks: "pterjan" for diskdrake, "titi" for some part of DrakX, and a shiny newcomer, "teuf" for urpmi and various things... New eyes on old code can surely help having better code :) », said Pixel. 

Christophe Fergeau is joining engineering team and will have the big task to take part of Pixel activity. Christophe is not unknown in free software community and contribute to GNOME (iPod support in Rhythmbox) 

Thanks again Pixel for all your good work and please welcome Christophe 

-- 

Anne NICOLAS 

Director of Engineering 

Mandriva http://www.mandriva.com

For the ones that don't know Pixel is the author of urpmi, maybe not the greatest package manager but a capable one and it is our package manager but he is also the author of maybe mandriva's greatest asset XFdrake and many other draktools

Edited by ffi

Xfdrake should go into obscurity after the introduction of xorg 1.5.X (although its automatic configuring features don't work well yet, I'll admit), while urpmi was always the weakest spot of Mandriva- slow, buggy, disfunctional (although I'll admit again that getting out of RPM hell is certainly not such an easy task).

It's not only those 2 tools but many parts of the mcc and installer. I tried to get bugs fixed many times, so I asked on irc and no one understood the draktools or even dared touch them...

ps: I never did get rpm hell, I have encountered deb hell many times, where deb install just would out-right refuse to do anything anymore because of broken packages or incomplete upgrades but never an rpm system....urpmi has gotten a lot better too the last 2 releases, 1 bad package won't break an upgrade anymore but I still think urpmi should consider downgrades, but by design it will never, and that it does not makes upgrading, especially with 3rd party packages present tricky...

I still think urpmi should consider downgrades, but by design it will never, and that it does not makes upgrading, especially with 3rd party packages present tricky...
Mandriva now has urpmi-recover, although CLI only it may be integrated with the GUI in the future.

Simply put, it repackages and saves your old RPM before upgrading so that you can revert to it even if it no longer exists on the mirrors or other media that you have.

It's a great idea and probably what your looking for.

Ken

Edit: It does save your old RPMs when upgrading from the GUI, it's only the setup and recovery that is CLI only.

Edited by K Bergen