swap not mounting at boot

CygnusX1

i just noticed that my /swap partition isn't being mounted at boot. i can go into mcc/local disks/manage disk partitions and mount it, but it will be unmounted after i reboot. i tried deleting it and recreating but that didn't help. this might have started after using gparted to resize my / and /home partitions i'm not sure. any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by CygnusX1

here's the output of fstab:

# Entry for /dev/sdc1 :

UUID=311d0180-ec4d-4cdc-bcc7-0dac30acc8a1 / reiserfs defaults 1 1

# Entry for /dev/sdc6 :

UUID=9e5f1f08-a18b-4cb6-aee1-857a745c4dd0 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/mapper/nvidia_dbfdchcfp1 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

# Entry for /dev/sdc5 :

UUID=9ceaa64c-60c3-4528-9d4d-2d7e4e575051 swap swap defaults 0 0

thanks for the help

i was logged at root at konsole. if i wasn't wouldn't i get a command not found error? the command doesn't return anything. just drops to the prompt. no i don't share the swap partition. i just noticed that under kdiskfree, the partitions are listed as dev/sda* not sdc*. could this be the problem?

output from blkid

[root@localhost ~]# blkid /dev/sda5

/dev/sda5: TYPE="swap" UUID="163c7144-e2a4-4065-8ae4-ee60b6e15cc5"

Edited by CygnusX1

blkid command doesn't return anything.
That means that /dev/sdc5 which fstab thinks is swap does not exist.

It's strange that diskdrake is not rewriting fstab when you delete and recreate the swap, possibly a bug.

There is probably a command to get the information you need out of /dev/disk/by-uuid but I don't know it.

As the only way to copy the UUID from diskdrake is pen and paper then manually enter it in fstab which would be pron to mistakes, you could try blkid again.

This time try

blkid /dev/sdc7

it should return something like this

/dev/sdc1: TYPE="swap" UUID="d0c1d6ae-d00f-4273-ad85-a2625d2a12f1"
if not increment the dev number until you find the swap.

Once you've found the swap it should be easy to change the UUID in fstab using copy and paste and an editor.

@ ffi, if he wasn't root he would have got "command not found" not nothing.

Ken

i was logged at root at konsole. if i wasn't wouldn't i get a command not found error? the command doesn't return anything. just drops to the prompt. no i don't share the swap partition. i just noticed that under kdiskfree, the partitions are listed as dev/sda* not sdc*. could this be the problem?

output from blkid

[root@localhost ~]# blkid /dev/sda5

/dev/sda5: TYPE="swap" UUID="163c7144-e2a4-4065-8ae4-ee60b6e15cc5"

I'm a slow typist :D but I see you found swap.

It should be easy to edit fstab now.

It isn't mandatory to change the dev name in fstab only the UUID but wouldn't hurt.

Ken

pasting the uuid from blkid into fstab worked. thanks for the help. with 2 gigs of ram, the swap doesn't really seem to get used much for what i do on the computer but it was bugging me that it wasn't working properly.

Edited by CygnusX1

Most likely the same issue -- the partitions defined by these last UUID's do not actually exist. Kdiskfree does see the entries, but as they do not exist, nothing gets mounted, meanign size zero and no max size available. Your /etc/fstab is out of line with hardware. Suggest you again look at the output of fdisk -l /dev/sda to see which partitions exist (screenshot suggests sda1 and sda6) and then blkid to see what UUID's match to these partitions. Use that to update fstab.