Unable to compile Nvidia Drivers against 2.6.28

viking777

When I try to compile my Nvidia drivers against the latest 2.6.28 kernel I get told that it cannot proceed because a file is missing. If I go to /usr/src/linux-2.6.28-2mnb/include/linux, then sure enough the file 'version.h' does not exist and this is the file that it is complaining about. I have both the kernel headers and the kernel source files installed for that kernel.

Anything I can do about this or just wait for it to sort itself out?

I can use the 'nv' drivers although they don't give full functionality on my two screen setup.

Why aren't you using the packaged driver in Cooker?

Because it doesn't work. As far as I remember it has been like that ever since I started using 2009.1. The only way I can get any graphics at all are to use 'nv' drivers, if I use anything else I just get 'no screens found' errors and 'nvidia-settings' doesn't work either.

If Mandriva released a CD version of Cooker instead of a DVD version I would upgrade it, but I am not downloading DVD's - ever.

Did you try scarecrows post? Looks like it might sort it out.

I have got to be honest Ian and say that I took one look at it and dismissed it as being too cryptic to bother with. However spurred on by your assertion that it might make a difference, I attempted to decode it and did the following:

1) Copied /usr/src/linux*****/include/asm-x86/asm-offsets to /usr/src/linux****/arch/x86/include/asm

2) Symlinked /usr/src/linux****/arch/x86/include/asm-x86/asm to /usr/src/linux****/arch/x86/include/asm

I ignored point 3 since it seems to have something to do with ACPI which is not something I have a problem with.

I also took the opportunity to go to the nvidia site and download the latest driver (180.22).

I then ran the setup for the nvidia driver and immediately noticed a difference. Previously it wouldn't even start to compile, now, it not only started, but it finished too.

Hooray!!??

No.

The upshot of it all is that I get exactly the same errors when I attempt to restart with the nvidia drivers "no screens found". If I take the exact same 'xorg.conf' and change the section labelled 'driver' from 'nvidia' to 'nv' I get to where I am now - in other words a graphical login that works (not perfectly but at least it works). If I use the 'nvidia' driver all I get is a console.

I'd stay away from NVIDIA driver 180.22 for now, unless you want to do real hacking. Trying the new driver with recent stable kernel on 2009 came out with same result. I'm also looking forward for the driver due to the bug fixes, but it simply doesn't integrate as well as 177.82 yet.

I'd stay away from NVIDIA driver 180.22 for now, unless you want to do real hacking. Trying the new driver with recent stable kernel on 2009 came out with same result. I'm also looking forward for the driver due to the bug fixes, but it simply doesn't integrate as well as 177.82 yet.

Interesting. In the light of what you said I just tried recompiling with the 177.82 kernel and it wouldn't work at all (complaints about mismatched kernel sources). This is strange because I have exactly the same kernel sources as yesterday and it worked then!

Anyway this is not really a big issue for me, as soon as they release a cd iso of 2009.1 I will erase this lot anyway.