kde - desktop icons for floppy & cd

null

After a recent install of mdk 9.0, I don't have any icons for floppy or cd drive.

I remember on prior installs of older versions of mandrake I thought it put the icons on your desktop for you. Maybe not, its been awhile.

I thought there was a way to right click the desktop, select new and make a floppy icon and a cd icon :?

when I make an icon that way, after clicking it, it just does nothing, or I just get some kind of Konqueror error

I'm probably just not adding the icons right.

I don't know about supermount. I thought it didn't work right in 9.0. I just installed 9.0 so I don't know if it installs by default or you have to activate it manually.

when you right-click on the kde desktop and select cd-rom device, then select "properties" and then open the device tab, I'm not sure what to put there.

I remember in the old mdk systems, you had kde icons for floppy and cd-rom, and when you inserted say a CD data disk, you just right-clicked the icon and selected "mount" and then later "umount"

floppy is fd0 and my cd-rw is scd0

it installs by default. Open a terminal, su to root and type

supermount -i disable

and then you should be able to create your icons with create new -> floppy (or cd/dvdrom) device and go from there.

If you ever want to enable supermount, su to root in a console and the command is

supermount -i enable

what exactly are you trying to do? Just want to see icons? You're probably using supermount which is wonderful if it works for you but it doesn't for some. Some disable it rt after install because of past bad expereinces not giving the new versions half a chance and like some auto-response tell all new users to linux to 'disable it...it's nothing but trouble'. I've never had one lick of trouble with it including all the way back to ML8.1.

If you just want quick access you can;

1. rt-click and create a link to /mnt/your_cdrom and/or floppy

2. Drag and drop to create it from konq (If I remember corectly)