I want to buy a new pc

orts

I have the FX 5200 in my stationaire, and I love it, but as you point out it can run the big 3D games, it even have trubles running my daugthers Ratatouille, and thats one of the reasons that I want a new pc.

Well I wasn't suggesting that you get a FX5200 now, just that if the ancient FX5200 is fine for everything but complex 3D games, then any current card will do speed wise. Therefore I would look for a modern nvidia card with 2 dvi ports (for dual monitor support) that is passively cooled (even if that means it's not as fast as the top of the range ones, as it will still be more than fast enough)!

I'll think about your advice regarding both graphiccard and harddrives, but how stable are the VelociRaptor?

I'm not sure what you mean by stable, reliable maybe? I don't believe you have to worry about that, it's sold as an enterprise drive and therefore it comes with 5 years warrranty and if you get 2 and use them with Linux software raid you have perfect reliability.

Just run a complete "badblocks -svw /dev/sdX" test of the disk before using it, I always do that on any new disk I buy and that allowed me to spot defective disks and RMA them before I even had used them for my data. All disks that passed that test have lasted me for more than 5 years.

See here for details of the VelociRaptor (150 or 300GB):

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=495

The VelociRaptor is perfect as an OS boot disk, if you need larger capacities for data storage I recommend the WD GP drives, I have 4 of them in a raid5 combination, they are extremely quiet and run very cool.

I used to prefer Seagate in the past, but the current generation of WD drives is IMHO better than Seagate and Seagate has recently cut it's warranty to only 3 years (doesn't inspire confidence in their reliability...).

Edited by tux99

that's the one, install and and be sure to run XFdrake afterwards to make sure it is set up properly

I did checked it sunday, using then command as mentioned earlier, it said everything was ok.

[root@mfaqAThome orts]# urpmi x11-driver-video-fglrx
Package x11-driver-video-fglrx-8.552-2mdv2009.0.i586 is already installed

but I tried running XFdrake from konsole.

Found the graphiccard, have to use ATI Radeon X1300 and later, my card is an ATI Radeon Mobillity HD 2600.

Then it told me this:

There is a proprietary driver available for your video card which may support additional features.

Do you wish to use it?

I say yes and follows the onscreen instructions, and end with this:

Keep the changes?

The current configuration is:

3D hardware acceleration: yes

Keyboard layout: dk

Mouse type: ExplorerPS/2

Monitor:

Monitor HorizSync: 31.5-57

Monitor VertRefresh: 52-63

Graphics card: ATI Technologies Inc ATI Radeon X1300 and later

Color depth: 16 million colors (24 bits)

Resolution: 1440x900 24bpp

Xorg driver: fglrx

I log out and in again.

After logging in I check for fglrx section, and thats as it's supposed to be:

[orts@mfaqAThome ~]$ aticonfig --initial=check
Check: Found fglrx section.

just as it normally is.

Then I runs drak3d from konsole, enables Compiz, logs out, this time I can log in, but no rotation or anything other of the fancy stuff.

I don't need the fancy stuff for my daily use, but somethings is wrong here, I have never had these trouble with my old FX 5200 card.

Well I wasn't suggesting that you get a FX5200 now, just that if the ancient FX5200 is fine for everything but complex 3D games, then any current card will do speed wise. Therefore I would look for a modern nvidia card with 2 dvi ports (for dual monitor support) that is passively cooled (even if that means it's not as fast as the top of the range ones, as it will still be more than fast enough)!

I'm not sure what you mean by stable, reliable maybe? I don't believe you have to worry about that, it's sold as an enterprise drive and therefore it comes with 5 years warrranty and if you get 2 and use them with Linux software raid you have perfect reliability.

Just run a complete "badblocks -svw /dev/sdX" test of the disk before using it, I always do that on any new disk I buy and that allowed me to spot defective disks and RMA them before I even had used them for my data. All disks that passed that test have lasted me for more than 5 years.

See here for details of the VelociRaptor (150 or 300GB):

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=495

The VelociRaptor is perfect as an OS boot disk, if you need larger capacities for data storage I recommend the WD GP drives, I have 4 of them in a raid5 combination, they are extremely quiet and run very cool.

I used to prefer Seagate in the past, but the current generation of WD drives is IMHO better than Seagate and Seagate has recently cut it's warranty to only 3 years (doesn't inspire confidence in their reliability...).

I ment of course reliable, not stable, but thats just something that happens when you don't speak english as a native language :D

I was going to buy WD harddrives, in my old stationaire I have an WD and one of the first Maxtor SATA harddrives, both of them just runs without any problems what so ever.

I have had an Seagate it couldn't run for more then 10 month, and after getting it switshed on the warrenty TWICE, I trew the third one out, and bought an Samsung spinpoint, and I had to use the RMA four times, before the store gave me my money back.

And now I'll lay down for a while, got the flu, very borring :sad:

Maybe that was true a while back but their drivers are atm better than nvidia for kde4 for sure, xvideo works, suspend/hibernate works, switching vt's work...most bugs actually have been fixed in the last 6 months

Ah... it still applies- bigtime. Don't fool yourself.

The ATi proprietary driver is still a huge poopoo- unusable for any serious (or even half-serious) purpose.

And- currently, the latest nvidia driver has absolutely no issues with KDE4. It's just KDE4 having issues with itself! :P

Then I runs drak3d from konsole, enables Compiz, logs out, this time I can log in, but no rotation or anything other of the fancy stuff.

I don't need the fancy stuff for my daily use, but somethings is wrong here, I have never had these trouble with my old FX 5200 card.

the fanciest effects are not enabled by default in mdv you need to run and install compiz settings manager for those

I have discovered that Composite not are running, if I enable that I can't get a desktop running.

Compiz settings manager is installed.

I really do belive that all of this is caused by an lousy ATI-driver.

I got it :D

Somehow I found out that Composite wasn't enbaled in xorg.conf, when I had done that was done and I tried to enable 3D-desktop again, the sytem wanted to install x11-server-xgl, and now I have a 3D-desktop running on my laptop.

Now I have to take my words about the ATI driver back again, and it runs even smoother than my nVidia FX 5200 does, but I think that's because ny ATi card has 512 mb and the FX 5200 just has 128 mb.