known PDA's with Linux support???

sud_crow

Hi

Im thinking about buying a palm, or more precisely a Cassiopeia B-300, im thinking about 150U$D, so if someone has some recommendation with this...

i mean, what you think and what you know about palms and Linux support.... and if you know a better opcion or whatever...

in short: PDA's with linux support, not to expensive and your thoughts on B-300!

also Linux can be installed on a compaq(hp) ipaq now without too much difficulty.

I believe that it should be posible to sync a palm device to your computer - although my own brief attempts in this area failed.

That said - I struggled to sync that same palm to a wnidows machine so it may havebeen the unit

If you are thinking about getting an iPaq and installing linux, I'd say no. THe SHarp Zaurus already has linux on it with better hardware than the iPaq . Frankly, unless you already owned an iPaq, that is just a stupid way to go.

I personaly own a Zaurus and I like it realy well. Syncing with linux is hit and miss evenw ith it, but setting up networking through USB to the Zaurus isn't bad and then you have all sorts of options.

If you want full 'out of the box' sync support the only way to go is a Palm OS device. Period. Personaly I think you'd be happier with a Zuarus.

As for the BE-300, I would avoid it. It has it's advantages, but it runs windows CE, and CE is almost totaly incompatible with linux. The same goes for PocketPC's. (THey run a pretty interface on top of CE) THere is a program out there called SynCE that is made for syncing it with linux, but it is half way finished at best and I spent MONTHS trying to get it working and never could get anything. Even compiling it was a nightmare and you MUST compile a custom kernel to use it at all unless you have one of 2 models of PPC, and even then, it only might work. Also, I'm not sure if it works witht he BE-300 at all.

If you are thinking about getting an iPaq and installing linux, I'd say no.  THe SHarp Zaurus already has linux on it with better hardware than the iPaq . Frankly, unless you already owned an iPaq, that is just a stupid way to go.

Simply not true - The ipaq has better hardware full stop - and linux for it is becoming quite mature. It may not be the best option for you - but it is FAR from a stupid way to go...

Opie is probably the best (IMHO) PDA interface currently out there. Syncing is a little less than perfect - but this affects the Zaurus as well. The opie interface is definately better (IMHO) than the default zaurus one - although you can isntall opie on a zaurus using OpenZaurus

The same goes for PocketPC's.  (THey run a pretty interface on top of CE) THere is a program out there called SynCE that is made for syncing it with linux, but it is half way finished at best and I spent MONTHS trying to get it working and never could get anything.  Even compiling it was a nightmare and you  MUST compile a custom kernel to use it at all unless you have one of 2 models of PPC, and even then, it only might work.  Also, I'm not sure if it works witht he BE-300 at all.

My experience of Synce as a plugin for mulitsync has been excellent and I would say that (in my experience) I have found it to be the best and most well supported of ANY Linux based PDA syncing system

My best experiences as far as compatibility go, were with a Handspring Visor running Palm OS. Eveything just worked so well with gpilot...

Well, I recently decided to upgrade and bought an iPAQ. Getting it to work with Linux has been a nightmare. Firstly, Familiar Linux does not yet run on the model of iPAQ I have (1910)... so then I tried the multisync/synce combo and have been trying to get this running for about a week... no luck yet, but I am still trying.

IMO: If you want something to work without hassles, get a Palm OS device. If you really need big hardware, get an iPAQ (at the end of the day, all I use is the calendar, to do list and contact list, so I wasted my money on the hardware with the iPAQ when a Palm would've worked just fine, if not better).

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPAQ, but the syncing thing has become a pain in the ass. Others have had a good time with it though, like Phunni.

Hi, thnx for your thoughts.

About Zaurus, i dont think i can manage to get one in this side of the earth... maybe somewhere... but it would be real expensive...

for example de palm125 are 160U$S, and thats a cheapy, i really dont want to name the iPAQ....

the thing is that the BE-300 is from a friend so i can get it for around U$S160/170 and its color, it has 16mb flash... but! as named it has winCE...

what i want to know, is what i could do with something that has wince, and what do YOU do with your linux PDA's.?

thnx!

I've been using a Palm IIIxe for almost 3 years now. In fact I'm on my second IIIxe - I plum wore the first one out. I picked a new unit up last month for US$59 from logicalplus.com. I use it for calender, phone book and to-do list and it fits the bill perfectly. I sync it with my Linux system using J-Pilot. The only down side is the slow transfer of data using the serial interface. I've been using it with Mandrake Linux since 8.1. I thought about moving over to a Zaurus or other device but can't see a good reason to do it right now.