Problems with supermount

Guest jerome187

Guest jerome187

I just upgraded to KDE 3.1.3 texstar vers, and now the CD/DVD automount icons are missing on my desktop, and i cant access /mnt/cdrom or /mnt/cdrom2 with my normal user anymore. I checked in the KDE desktop config GUI and checked it to show unmount and mounted cd and cd burning devices, but they just dont show up. My hard drives show up and when I check them tho. Heres my /etc/fstab

/dev/md0 / reiserfs notail 1 1

/dev/sda1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

none    /mnt/cdrom      supermount      fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/scd0,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,ro,nosuid,umask=0,nodev 0 0

none    /mnt/cdrom2     supermount      fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/hdc,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,ro,nosuid,umask=0,nodev 0 0

none    /mnt/floppy     supermount      fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0,--,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,nosuid,umask=0,unhide,nodev 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat noauto,user 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/sda3 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/sdb2 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/sdc2 swap swap defaults 0 0

It worked fine before I upgraded.

I am using texkde3.1.3 and 9.1. Here is my fstab. I do not use autogoof

/dev/hdd1 / reiserfs notail 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hdd6 /home reiserfs notail 1 2

/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,850  0 0

/dev/hda2 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,850  0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdd7 /usr reiserfs notail 1 2

/dev/hdd5 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd	/mnt/cdrom	auto	ro,noauto,user,exec	0 0

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd	/mnt/cdrom2	auto	ro,noauto,user,exec	0 0

/dev/hdd8 /mnt/linux9.2_root ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdd10 /mnt/linux9.2_home ext3 defaults 1 2

Make sure that you have your icons marked for showing on the desk top in the kde control center (not MCC)

I was wondering, why so many swaps?

read this thread (link below). it should explain it all. i had the same shock when i upgraded KDE. basically, yer gonna have to disable supermount & create links to your drives on the KDE desktop. read through this thread, see how frustrated & tee'd off i was, & follow the instructions there. if you still can't figure it out, let me know & i'll give you step by step instructions. the problem you're having starts about 1/2 way down the first page.

click here

Chris

Guest jerome187
I was wondering, why so many swaps?

I have a software raid0 setup with 3 SCSI drives, so i put a swap on each drive so the swap behaves like a raid0 (sorta).

I'll just give up on automount, i did like it but if its going to take me hours to get working right its not worth it.

I might be wrong on this but I don't think linux will like having 3 swaps in you raid setup.

I'm only saying this because it only shows one windows partition and one root partition. linux might just get confused about which swap to use since they have three addresses for it now.

Just how much swap space do you use? I've heard that some people get by without even having a swap partition since their memory is way over 1 gig and the swap never gets accessed.

Guest jerome187

each swap is only like 250MB, i have 512MB ram. The 3 swaps are all used in a round-robin manner, as long as you add pri=1 in fstab to the end of each one, like this:

/dev/sda3 swap swap defaults,pri=1 0 0 

/dev/sdb2 swap swap defaults,pri=1 0 0 

/dev/sdc2 swap swap defaults,pri=1 0 0

Thanks for reminding me to do that, i forgot at first.

diabling supermount is not that difficult & won't take you hours to set up. the easiest way to disable it is to go to terminal, su to root, & type:

supermount disable

to enable would be:

supermount enable

what i did though, which was a bit more involved, was using "set mount points" in MCC i reset my burner & cdrom mount points that way, because i was having other supermount related issues due to K3B settings. if you do this, you can then right click on the KDE desktop, choose "configure desktop"->"behaviour"-> & where it says "devices" at the bottom of the configuration screen, check "display devices on desktop" & then choose which devices you want displayed. after you do that, you can right click on the devices, choose "properties", & change the icons & rename them if you like. to use a data disk, after inserting the disk into the drive you just right click on the drive icon & click "mount" & you will be able to use that drive, right click & choose "unmount" to unmount the drive & be able to eject it. music disks don't need to be mounted. they will play automtically.

Chris