No sound after recent kernel update on mdv2009

pmpatrick

I don't know if this is another kernel regression or not, but the kernel originally shipped with mdv 2009 had very serious issues with onboard intel sound devices. Those issues were cured by a kernel update shortly after mdv was released. Over the past week, mandriva issued a kernel update on mdv 2009 for security reasons. After installing the new kernel via mandriva update, those old intel sound problems are back with the new kernel. I'm getting no sound whatsoever after the kernel update just like I did with the original kernel.

For those interested, the old kernel that worked with intel sound was 2.6.27.5 and the new kernel were sound doesn't work is 2.6.27.7. Booting to the old 2.6.27.5 restores the sound.

Edited by pmpatrick

I tried that to no avail. People on the fedora forum are reporting the same problem after a kernel update there. Onboard intel sound on ICH8 and ICH9 chipsets seem to be the ones primarily effected. Some report that they get sound after inserting and removing headphones which would indicate a problem with mixer settings which is reset after plugging in and removing the headphones. Didn't work here so will have to wait for a kernel update.