Regular kernel panic or even total freeze [solved]

Filip K.

After I freshly installed Mandriva One 2009 with preserved /home I receive a regular kernel panic or even total freeze in one hour or even less. Blinking keyboard LEDs (Caps lock and Scroll) are the only information about kernel panic. I tried several things. Disconnected Webcam doesn't help. Also no significant change with different kernels:

kernel-desktop586-2.6.27.7-1mnb

kernel-desktop586-2.6.27.5-2mnb

kernel-linus-2.6.27.10-1mdv

It's not connected with X freeze mentioned in Errata. I search reported bugs but I was unable to find anything useful.

uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.27.7-desktop586-1mnb #1 SMP Thu Dec 11 16:32:08 EST 2008 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ GNU/Linux

Motherboard is Asus A7V600-X. Graphic card is Nvidia GeForce 6200 type. I only have one PCI card (Leadtek Winfast 2000).

I'm not sure what to do. And believe me that this is very annoying :wall: . I was very pleased overall with Mandriva One 2008.1 and earlier versions :D .

Please suggest me :unsure: .

I wish that 2009 will be without such freezes for all of us, Filip.

I would tend to think you have a hardware issue even if it has been working flawlessly before.

I would recommend a 24 hour test of your PC with a memtest86 bootable CD:

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

If that finds no errors then try a hard disc scan with 'badblocks -svn /dev/sda' (or whatever your boot disk device is), to do this boot from the Mandriva CD in rescue mode (don't do this while booted from the hard disk).

If both these tests don't show up errors, then maybe the cpu is overheating for some reason (maybe a fan inside your PC died?) or the power supply might be dieing (providing unstable voltage under load). You could check this for example by installing and configuring 'ksensors' and keeping it open on your desktop.

Edited by tux99

Thanks to Adam Williamson's suggestion the culprit is located a little better now. With nv video driver there are no freezes for now B). Unfortunately this driver is barely usable for my setup (Twinview), so I use 2008.1 for now. I'll fill a bug.

There is nothing in the logs. Also single user mode or in level 3 there were no crashes for a few hours. I use 'ksensors' with 2008.1. Nothing obvious just yet. I also successfully tested RAM and HDs just a while ago.

Perhaps you need later version of the nvidia kernel module that supports your card. As you noticed switching to the nv module, the problems stopped. Since single mode and runlevel 3 didn't find anything, it would suggest that it only happens in runlevel 5, when xorg is running - and hence we're back at the nvidia/nv thing that you noticed.

Try using the latest nvidia kernel module and see if that fixes your problem.

Thanks Ian. For an idea to use newest driver :D . But not from 'Backports' which is the root of the problem :wall: . Forgot to mention it was "x11-driver-video-nvidia-current-177.82-1mdv2009.0.i586.rpm

" So I'm testing again. Version "177.70-2.3mdv2009.0" from 'Non-free Updates'

• 1 month later...

There is also freeze in Kubuntu Live and OpenSuse with nvidia driver.

Good news is that Mandriva 2009.1 aka 2009 Spring BETA 1 works :D . That confirms my theory about freeze with any nvidia driver and kernel 2.6.27 regardless of used linux distribution .

No response from Nvidia on forum and email :wall:.

At Mandriva Bugzilla they really tried B) .

So Spring, here I come :D.