SCO to send out invoices?

liquidzoo

if they went after anyone in the government, they might as well pull out a gun and shoot themselves dead smack in the foot.

I thought they already shot themselves in the foot? Next would be the military lineing them up in the crosshairs in the center of SCO.

I don't know if PC Magazine knows what they're talking about but...

In the sept 16 issue there is an article about the SCO suit, and PC Mag said that SCO brought in all their evidence to PC Magazine. The ending opinion of PC Mag was that they thought SCO had a valid point and that linux should re-write some sections of the 2.4 kernel to get around this problem.

Anyway, I haven't really been keeping up with this thing, just thought I'd mention the article here...

The question is did PC Mag research the code to see where it originally came from, or just go "yeah that codes in linux, too"? What matters is not if there is similar code in both kernels but rather where that code originated from and if SCO can claim IP rights on it. (i'm not looking for an answer, as i doubt anyone knows, but just pointing out the question)

Any microsoft rag, such as pc magazine, is gonig to go heavy on the fud concerning the outrageous charges made by sco. sco is simply after a high cash out of the former company that was sco, and microsoft wants everyone to stay away from linux, because of cash. Any investigation of theses charges shows sco to be filled with groundless statements, and their repeating the charges is merely a method of attempting to shout something loud enough that someone might actually believe it! :shock:

I wasn't defending the article, just mentioning it. I don't subscribe to any computer mags, especially PC magazine.

I may browse some at a bookstore if there's an article I'm interested in.

Reason I browsed the current PC Mag was cuz of a cover blurb about file sharing services that hide your ID, so I just picked it up to read that article, and happened to read the SCO thing too.

Most of the claims SCO put in the public are either shot down by Open Source Community, Eric S. Raymond, Bruce Perens, or Linus Torvalds himself. The curious thing is except eWeek and CNet, very few "mainstream" IT journalists even bother to interview about the views of people in the open source community. I am not sure it is a culture thing, or as some other put it, a pro-Microsoft agenda was behind the publication.

I wasn't defending the article, just mentioning it.  I don't subscribe to any computer mags, especially PC magazine.

I may browse some at a bookstore if there's an article I'm interested in.

Reason I browsed the current PC Mag was cuz of a cover blurb about file sharing services that hide your ID, so I just picked it up to read that article, and happened to read the SCO thing too.

Sounding a little defensive there dude :lol: (j/k)

Sounding a little defensive there dude  (j/k)

ok, I just realized that when I posted that, that I was still a subscriber to Maximum PC magazine. Oops. However, its mostly a hard-core hardware mag, not really an "MS" mag. Anyway, I have just received my final issue, so now I officially don't subscribe to any computer mags.

Too bad there's no good linux mags for noobs like me.

I find that most linux mags that I browse thru are a little too geeky for me. I just want to learn basic, normal stuff first, and also "home" stuff like burning CDs, watching/burning DVDs, ripping audio, blah blah.

When I browse thru a linux mag, I'm usually looking at pages of code & crap.

Although, I admit, Linux Format seems ok. However - its too damn expensive ($10 or so where I live in the US)