SCO to send out invoices?

liquidzoo

I think SCO should send an invoice to Defense department first; after all it is well known for using Linux/BSD and involved in development of a secured version of Kernel (not sure if it is LSM related). I am very interested to see how the military will deal with matter.

Let 'em send the invoices. The Attorney General of the State of Indiana can prevent them from doing business in Indiana because of fraud. That means they could be prohibited from even enforcing a valid claim, if they had one.

I think SCO should send an invoice to Defense department first; after all it is well known for using Linux/BSD and involved in development of a secured version of Kernel (not sure if it is LSM related). I am very interested to see how the military will deal with matter.
The department of defense does not use Linux in a production environment. The NSA does work with it in a testing environment to create the secure linux kernel-but the DoD is not permitted to use it in a production environment just yet (though it's in the works).

So what does DoD actually use? BSD? Or commercial UNIX?

I don't think Windows can handle certain type of mission critical projects.

This report ( http://www.egovos.org/pdf/dodfoss.pdf ) does indicate use of Linux (and Linux RedHat in particular, starting from Page 28 in the report) inside DoD, though I am not sure whether the definition of "production environment" you are referring to, and if it includes research environment and among others.

production environment would not include research environments. Red Hat was going through tests and was certified by someone (don't remember who-check red hats website) but until recently, there was no move towards allowing the use of Linux on DoD networks. Given, this is just official sanction...not necessarily what actually occurs.

So I guess DoD did use Linux at least in research environment and among some other situation.
yeah, basically ;-) but i think SCO is after people who use Linux commercially, and technically you can't say the government is doing anything commercial...technically...i think...maybe......

who knows.

yeah, basically ;-)  but i think SCO is after people who use Linux commercially, and technically you can't say the government is doing anything commercial...technically...i think...maybe......

who knows.

So I guess DoD cannot deploy the research result involved Linux within a commercial setting such as projects with commercial weapon manufacturers after all; that doesn't make sense to invest in Linux if so.

Still SCO is shooting easy target, and I don't think DoD or government (especially White House also running Linux) would be "easy" after all.

Maybe we should get together and compose a letter to SCO outlining the fact that some government agency's are using Linux. It would be a quick death for them if they went after the government.

I would even be willing to take a few hours out of my day and drive down there to hand deliver the letter :D