compiler

Guest sparkythewondersquid

Guest sparkythewondersquid

hello, I am new to linux (mandriva) I have used ubuntu for a month or so and am trying mandriva and so far I like it but I am having problems with the command line I downloaded firefox tar.bz2 extracted it and the ./configure command is not found do I need to install a compiler? in fact a lot of commands are coming back as bash:command not found fsck, sudo, dpkg, all bash:command not found its vary frustrating :wall: I am running as root any advice I would love

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

You may find it useful to refer to the Wiki, especially the page on installing and updating software:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Home

Most people would advise that it is unwise to run as root. It is best to run as a normal user and, when root authority is required become root by entering "su -" in a terminal.

sudo is not configured on a default Mandriva install. If you want to use it, you need to configure it.

Jim

First of all, welcome to MUB.

I would like to ask why you are trying to compile a tarred Firefox. Mandriva includes Firefox packages in its repository so there is absolutely no need to compile Firefox.

If you think that doing so puts you further ahead with Firefox then you are sadly mistaken. Any updates in Firefox appear within days in the Mandriva Firefox package.

You are just making an unnecessary rod for your own back. When you did the initial install, Firefox would have been in the list of installable packages. Anyway go into MCC then Software Management then into install and remove software and look for Firefox, click to install it. Couldn't be easier.

Cheers. John.

I guess you were expecting the "root" routine to be the same in Mandriva as it is in Ubuntu. It isn't and Ubuntu tends to be the standoff here. There is a certain amount of controversy in the general Linux world as to whether the Ubuntu routine is a good idea but I am not about to get into debate about the whys and wherefores on the subject.

As Jim says, there is absolutely no need to be in root especially to install packages especially when you can use the MCC (Mandriva Control Centre).

Fact is you hardly ever need to use the CLI and then mainly for a few simple things such as one Jim said about using su - .

Cheers. John.

aside the good comentaries wrtien here, perhaps you need to configure urpmi before doing anything [there are several ways of install software here] the most easy its easy urpmi [just google it], then configure the package installer using the instructions on the site, after that simpy as root write urpmi + package_you_want.

and its a good idea to read the wiki, just in case...

btw: the firefox tar.gz can be tricky to a new user, because its code already compilated , if you want this badly simply via the term go to your home dir then

tar xvf /path/to/firefox.tar.gz

cd firefox and

./firefox

it should run that if not post the messages outputed by the system.

Enjoy! and thanks for read!!! =)