Virtual Box OSE

Hi there.

For many reasons I want to run some Windows programs (Office 2007, CorelDraw, etc.) on my Mandriva Box. I tried to install Office 2007 through wine but couldn't succeed. Anyway I succeed with Office 2003.

Now I want to try to install WinXP on my Mandriva with a virtual machine. In MCC I search for VBox and I got dkms-virtualbox - VirtualBox OSE kernel module Version: 2.0.2-2mdv2009.0. I don't know if this is the package for running Sun VirtualBox?

Do you know some other VM that can be run in Mandriva?

Thanks

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Now I want to try to install WinXP on my Mandriva with a virtual machine. In MCC I search for VBox and I got dkms-virtualbox - VirtualBox OSE kernel module Version: 2.0.2-2mdv2009.0. I don't know if this is the package for running Sun VirtualBox?

The Mandriva package is virtualbox-2.0.2-2mdv2009.0. If you have set up on-line media, then installing this package will also install any required dependencies. The Mandriva package is the open source version of Sun's VirtualBox. If you want to use USB devices within the VM then you will need the closed source version from the VirtualBox web site.

There are other virtualisation applications that can be used on Mandriva, such as Vmware Server, but IMHO, VirtualBox is the easiest to set up and use.

Jim

If you have set up on-line media, then installing this package will also install any required dependencies.

thanks Jim

Like media I have:

PLF Free

PLF Non-free

Main

Main updates

Contrib

Contrib Updates

Non-free

Non-free Updates

Do I need something else?

BTW ... If I go to MCC-> configure media -> add after a while I got:

Unable to add medium, errors reported:

...retrieving failed: aria2 failed: exited with 1
unable to access the distribution medium (no media.cfg file found)

Medium: Official2009.0- ()

I use proxy to connect to In.

thanks Jim

Like media I have:

PLF Free

PLF Non-free

Main

Main updates

Contrib

Contrib Updates

Non-free

Non-free Updates

Do I need something else?

Those are sufficient. However, I know nothing about using proxy servers. I'm sure someone else will.

Jim