Problems using transcode/mplex/dvdauthor

Guest carl

I have been using Mandriva Linux for almost 4 years now but have only very recently started trying my hand at video encoding so the problems I'm experiencing may be my own fault, but that's what I'm here to find out! Basically, what I'm doing is ripping a dvd to my hard drive using acidrip, creating a 700 -900 Mb .avi file. The .avi is flawless, I then use transcode to split that file into a .m24 and .ac3 file using this command: transcode -i movie.avi -y ffmpeg --export_prof dvd-ntsc --export_asr 3 -o movie -D0 -s2 -m movie.ac3 -J modfps=clonetype=3 --export_fps 29.97. I then merge those 2 files into a large .mpg file using this command: mplex -f 8 -o dvd_movie.mpg movie.m2v movie.ac3. Then I use dvdauthor to create the dvd file structure. Somewhere between the .avi and the .vob files, something is going wrong. When I burn the .vob files to dvd (using Maxell 16x dvd-r's, usually at about 4-7x) and watch it on my dvd player, the entire movie has odd glitches in it, small parts of the screen go blocky or blurry, or there's wierd shadows or trails coming off of moving objects. I wondered if maybe the burn process was causing it, but I watched the movie on my pc and it has the same thing.It doesn't render the entire movie unwatchable but it is irritating. At first I thought it may be because of low memory, before I only had 512 Mb ram and during the encoding process my memory would drop to 5 Mb so I upgraded to 2 Gb ram and it's still doing it. Has anyone else encountered this problem encoding video? Any suggestions, thoughts, tips? Anything would be greatly appreciated, I have several movies on my hard drive that I would like to be able to convert and burn but not at the expense of quality.

The process you are using seems overly complicated too me, you are reencoding the dvd too many times needlessly (why do you encode to avi and then back to mpeg?), therefore losing quality in the process, try using k9copy which does everything in one go very easily!

Edited by tux99

The way I wrote it out, it would seem slightly complicated, I did not want to spell out where I'm getting the .avi movies, but so far this seems to be the best way to convert an .avi to .vob ready for burning to disc.

The way I wrote it out, it would seem slightly complicated, I did not want to spell out where I'm getting the .avi movies, but so far this seems to be the best way to convert an .avi to .vob ready for burning to disc.

Ok I get it, well if your starting point is an avi then maybe use Handbrake, it's not available as a rpm for Mandriva yet but it's easy to compile, I have it already compiled for mdv 2008.1 and someone else here in the forum compiled it for 2009.

In case you need the 2008.1 version send me a PM with your email address and I can mail you my binary tar.gz package that installs under /usr/local/.

See also http://www.handbrake.fr

Edit: sorry I just noticed Handbrake doesn't output to vob, therefore you are better off with DeVeDe as suggested by Ian or else get a 'Popcorn Hour' and you won't need to convert anything anymore to watch it... ;)

Edited by tux99

Ok, k9copy looks pretty promising, I've tried devede before, get the same error now:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/local/bin/devede", line 28, in <module>

import gtk.glade

ImportError: No module named glade

for some reason this one has me completely stumped. I found libglade, no gtk-glade and no packages. I think I've been sitting in front of this thing too long, supposedly simple things are starting to confuse me.

I looked for devede using mcc, it wasn't there, updated the sources, still no dice, I may have overlooked it, but after looking around for a while I finally found the glade package I needed and got it working. So far it seems to be working ok, really slow, I'll know for sure if that did it once I watch it on my dvd player. k9copy is pretty cool too, thanks for all the suggestions, I'd never heard of these programs cause I'm so used to dealing with Mandrake 10.1 and encoding gui's that don't work which is the main reason I'm just now getting into playing with video. I just hate I couldn't do all this better from the command line, I like doing as much as possible from a cli, learning more every day but still feel like a noob sometimes.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.