Webcam grief

Guest A.Simmons

Guest A.Simmons

I'm getting nowhere trying to make a bog standard Logitech QuickCam Messenger work under Mandriva 2009. It shows up in lsusb, and the "Configure your computer" / "hardware" UI lists it, but there's no /dev/video device and apps either bomb out or show empty device lists. Googling around I find a lot of stuff starting "First, recompile your kernel..." which I'm really not prepared to waste my time with. Either the thing works, or it doesn't! TIA...

I'm getting nowhere trying to make a bog standard Logitech QuickCam Messenger work under Mandriva 2009. It shows up in lsusb, and the "Configure your computer" / "hardware" UI lists it, but there's no /dev/video device and apps either bomb out or show empty device lists. Googling around I find a lot of stuff starting "First, recompile your kernel..." which I'm really not prepared to waste my time with. Either the thing works, or it doesn't! TIA...

I'm not an expert on cameras but is there native support for that camera? Or do you have to install a driver? Hence: Did you try to install the driver, for there's a dkms-qc-usb-messenger package in the repos... (I had lots of problems with my webcam, but recompiling kernels sounds a bit exaggerated) If you have that driver, maybe try re-installing it. Or check, if all programs respond in the same way...

creek

Guest A.Simmons

(note also the M2009 release notes say:

* gspca-supported webcams working out of the box

With Mandriva Linux 2009, the dozens of webcams supported by the gspca driver will work out of the box, with no configuration or package installation necessary. In earlier Mandriva Linux releases support for these webcams was available only upon manual installation of a driver package.

I can't find a list of devices gspca supports anywhere, though. )

Guest A.Simmons

Thanks R.I.P. My device (vendor:046d device:08f6) isn't listed. So that's that, I guess :(

Anyone want an unsupported webcam?

Edited by A.Simmons