"Handbrake" DVD transcoder GUI

tux99

I have now packaged up a new svn build of Handbrake (svn2508) which includes DTS pass-through support and the long awaited support for multiple soft subtitle tracks (previously Handbrake only supported one burned into the picture subtitle track).

Please give it a try and let me know if it works on Mandriva 2009.1 too, it's built on 2008.1 and should work fine on 2009.0 (my previous builds did).

(I don't have a suitable 2009.1 install handy right now).

As usual, please keep in mind this is a build of a development version, so it has not been tested as thoroughly as a release version (but according to my tests it's very stable and works great!)

Edited by tux99

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just realized that this program is linked statically to every needed multimedia library, instead of using the existing shared ones. Why?

This isn't the right way to build a Linux application!

That's not my decision, it's how the Handbrake developers intended it (the libs are actually included in the Handbrake source, the libs installed on my PC don't get used when compiling it), they claim that's the only way they can ensure that there are no incompatibilities between their code and the libraries (they basically want to avoid that different versions of libraries cause results to be unpredictable).

Also keep in mind Handbrake is primarily a Windows/OS-X app, where many of the required libraries are not commonly installed by default.

Personally I don't consider it an issue given the amount of RAM an average PC has these days (and you wouldn't want to run Handbrake on an old PC anyway as transcoding would take forever!), of course this is ok for the odd app like Handbrake, it would become a problem if all apps do it.

Edited by tux99

Oh yes, it's obvious it's not your decision. After all, I realized it while trying to build the latest one from svn (the CLI version, as the GTK one has many Gnome dependencies- I wanted to use the experimental QT4 QUI, which has only phonon as KDE4 dependency). I cannot say much, as the included ffmpeg failed to build- I may try again with a later SVN revision, but still, this may be OK for windows or (less so) OSX, but it's definitly ODD for a Linux app.

Oh yes, it's obvious it's not your decision. After all, I realized it while trying to build the latest one from svn (the CLI version, as the GTK one has many Gnome dependencies- I wanted to use the experimental QT4 QUI, which has only phonon as KDE4 dependency). I cannot say much, as the included ffmpeg failed to build- I may try again with a later SVN revision, but still, this may be OK for windows or (less so) OSX, but it's definitly ODD for a Linux app.

Well, I certainly agree with you in principle, but in practice this doesn't stop me from using Handbrake, as IMHO it's currently the best, easy-to-use, transcoding application available for Linux.

The results it produces are consistently high quality with no audio-video sync issues or any player compatibility issues.

I have tried other GUI transcoders and they all had their issues, producing inferior results.

BTW, I'm surprised you had compilation problems, I haven't had any compilation issues on Mandriva with any of the many svn versions I have built so far.

Is this on Arch Linux (or some other distro) or on Mandriva?

Edited by tux99

Yes, it was on Archlinux. I do believe it was something wrong in the SVN revision I pulled out, as Arch may be cryptic for a GUI fan, but when coming to compiling from source, it's absolutely top notch.

I have used a premade build script, from Arch AUR repository, but I'vew scrutinized the script and fould nothing wrong with it.

• 2 weeks later...
Please give it a try and let me know if it works on Mandriva 2009.1 too, it's built on 2008.1 and should work fine on 2009.0 (my previous builds did).

(I don't have a suitable 2009.1 install handy right now).

I tested my 2008.1 rpm on 2009.1 now and unfortunately it doesn't work there.

That's because a library (libxcb-xlib.so.0.0.0) part of libxcb which the handbrake binary links to, has been depreciated and removed from 2009.1.

I will make a package for 2009.1 sometime soon, too.

Edited by tux99

• 5 weeks later...

It's available from my website (which is still very basic and under construction):

http://www.linuxtech.net/downloads/

Will be RSS  available in your website in future? Thx for tip on OGMRip on your website :) And thx for making RPMs for us. And support for soft subtitles is very good news :)

Strange, Opera isnt shows icon for RSS feed in adress bar, when I am in your main page. Anyway, thx for link to your RSS :)

Thanks for making me aware of that, I have fixed that now.

Well tux99, I went to your site for your latest build of HandBrake and walked away with your created Korg 05R/W definition :) Now I have a reason to try Rosegarden. Many Thanks.. Oh and thanks for HandBrake too.

Well tux99, I went to your site for your latest build of HandBrake and walked away with your created Korg 05R/W definition :) Now I have a reason to try Rosegarden. Many Thanks.. Oh and thanks for HandBrake too.

You are welcome! So you have a 05R/W too?

I have had mine for 15 years now and I'm still in love with it's sounds! :woops:

Soft-synths are no replacement for proper hardware synths!

You will find that Rosegarden is quite powerful (not equal to Cubase but still very useable), it's not always very intuitive, but there is good documentation on the Rosegarden web site.

Despite hundreds of downloads of the Handbrake package, I have had little feedback so far, I assume that means the package works fine for everyone, still it would be nice to have that confirmed too.

Edited by tux99

You are welcome! So you have a 05R/W too?

I have had mine for 15 years now and I'm still in love with it's sounds! :woops:

Soft-synths are no replacement for proper hardware synths!

Heck yeah I still have my 05R/W I bought it when they first hit the market in the UK. I also have my Yamaha TG55 and Korg M1 rack modules. And I still own a Yamaha QY10 sequencer, lol. You're so right, there's no substitute for hardware! :thumbs:

Despite hundreds of downloads of the Handbrake package, I have had little feedback so far, I assume that means the package works fine for everyone, still it would be nice to have that confirmed too.

HandBrake (2009.1) works fine for me.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.