Networking Nighmare

Guest abraxas

Guest abraxas

I have just recently switched to Mandriva2009 from Ubuntu and have trouble getting my internet connection working on an Acer Aspire 5720Z (Atheros wifi).

The good thing is that the network card seems to be supported out of the box: I can see my wireless network in the network center. I managed to set up a wireless connection without problems on the first day of my fresh install. Plug in the ethernet, fine, everything works.

Next day: I can see the wireless network, but network center won't connect me. After some checking that the saved key and connection type are correct, but still can't get wireless to work, I plug in the ethernet cable, which still works. Another mandriva user has reported the same issue here: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...network+manager .

After many attempts to connect to my network, after removing my network profile and reentering my network data and clicking on the network centers' 'monitor' tab, in which I clicked on 'connect wifi', I finally managed to get back on the web using my wireless.

Unfortunately that success was a one off - OK I have not gone through the trouble of erasing and reentering my network key again, which would probably help, but is certainly no solution to the issue that wireless won't connect on the next day. (The strange thing is that when I restart my computer on the on the same day, i.e. without restaring my wireless network, wifi connects without problems.)

The next strange thing is that since I have such an erratic wireless connection, I have used my wired ethernet connection to go online. However when the modem is turned on while the computer starts up, I won't get a wired connection on eth0 in my network center - I have to restart the modem in order to get a connection.

I experienced a similar wireless problem in my ubuntu 8.10 install at first, but some update of the network manager applet solved the issue. So I thought why not try to install the network manager in my mandriva install, since I saw in my software manager that kdenetwork-manager was not installed. When |i start the kdenetwork manager from the applications tab, however, it tells me that it cant see an active network device.

Where does that leave me on my internet connectivity.

a) I seem to have the option to erase and recreate my network profile every time I want to connect to the same network wireless.

B) The other option is to use the ethernet port, but make sure that it is not connected when the system boots up.

Can someone please help me with finding a better solution, or is this a bug?

Thanks for your support.