compiz makes machine unuseable

Guest owa

I got Mandriva 2009 installed and working well. So, I decided to play around with the 3D stuff, as I've never messed with it before. Alas, I borked my machine. I stepped through the setup for compiz, accepting whatever. Now, the panels are so incredibly mis-proportioned that I can't even get into the menu to try to change it back to no 3D. I do have a terminal launcher on the desktop, however.

What command will bring up that program so that I can fix this? Or, is there a command line edit that I can use?

Thanks for the help.

owa

Or drak3d.

Or if for some reason, this program can't run, you can run drakx11 instead, then in the "graphics card" section, just accept what the program detects, but then don't accept the proprietary driver; this would probably disable 3D as well.

Yves.

Thanks, daniewicz and theYinYetti, for the suggestions. I can launch both drakconf and drakx11, but the programs are so grossly disproportionate that they are unuseable.

I am multi-booting with Mandriva 2009.0, Fedora 9, and CentOS 5. Would it be possible to edit the appropriate file?

I could boot to say Fedora 9, mount the partition holding Mandriva 2009. go to that file, and edit it, if I just knew which file, and what to enter.

Thanks for the responses.

owa

You may be able to log out of your session and at the log in screen select 3d from the session type menu. Just select no 3d and log out again. Then select kde or whatever from the session type menu. This is like running drak3d but from the log in screen.

Any login I choose, after logging in, results in windows which are at such a resolution that only the equivalent of the lower square inch will fit in the window. The panels are similarly disproportionate.

It seems, short of reinstalling, my best option would be command-line edit of the appropriate config file, if only I knew which file, and where it is located.

Thanks,

owa

Thanks, Chris. I'll give that a try, probably tomorrow. Since I multi-boot, Fedora 9 being the most often used, there isn't a terrible sense of urgency just now. But I would like to continue my exploration of Mandriva 2009 if I can get past this self-inflicted wound.

It seems clear to me that compiz and my video card are not playing together nicely.

Thanks again. I'll post back the results.

owa

Press Alt+Ctrl+F1, log in as root. Then load

drak3d

it'll say your desktop doesn't support 3d desktop effects (it says this because the procedure drak3d uses to check if your system supports 3d desktop can't work in console mode). Just choose OK and press enter. Then just restart the machine, Alt+Ctrl+Delete , see if this works.