Download and permissions

Bower

Before I updated to 2009 when i plugged my memory card into my card reader for my cannon digital camera it would ask me if i wanted to open it in digicam. now it only asks for dolphin. i can not open it from what i can tell in side digicam. i downloaded to desktop but they are now only for root to move or delete. any ideas on how to correct this issue

Bower

This sounds like it could be a KDE 4 "feature", can you tell us if you're using KDE 4 ?

You should be able to download the photos from within Digikam, just look in the "Camera" menu and then "Browse media" to select where your card reader appears - then you get a nice thumbnail view of the photos where you can select which ones to download.

(Disclaimer: I'm using 2008.1 and KDE 3 so things may be a little different here)

About the photo permissions on the desktop, that's certainly very odd indeed. Did you run dolphin as root when you copied the files over? Are you sure they're read-only, ie what does the output of "ls -l Desktop" give you? Or if this is some funny KDE 4 thing then try downloading them to a new directory, rather than the desktop.

Quick fix for moving and deleting the files:

In a terminal type as root

chown -R username:username /home/username

Replace "username" with the name of your account. This command will change/correct the permissions of all files in your user-directory recursively.