Video Captures

AussieJohn

I am in 2008-Spring. I can save "Live to Air" TV to a folder with no troubles at all.

However I cannot replay the captures in Kaffeine or Totem except in root mode. This despite my setting my Home partition Permissions to read and write totally.

I find also that Konqueror tends to freeze up and becomes unusable until I reboot. When rebooted Konqueror works normally until any attempt is made to play the capture in any of the media players.

It only seems to be caused by the Captures and not by any of the other video formats.

Any ideas from anyone will be appreciated.

I have all updates and latest Nvidia driver but problem has existed for months so updates have neither caused or corrected the problem.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

They are recorded by Kaffeine and in the format that Kaffeine uses. It is definitely a permissions problem but even though I gave the file full permissions it still wouldn't work.

That in itself was no big deal but the aspect of screwing with konqueror is, as I described.

I have done a clean install of 2008-Spring again in the last 24 hours (including setting up all my desktop settings from scratch again. I know I didn't need to but I did for an exercise).

I have no such problems now, everything working as it should do so any answers are now largely just of interest as to how it might have been caused. Especially since I generally don't play around with system default settings that might effect permissions.

Cheers. John.

Have you ran kaffeine from the console window and then opened this file. Any debug output would be shown on the console window, so we could see where the problem might be, or what directory is requiring read/write access if not your home directory.

It will be enough to open the console window as your regular user, and then just type:

kaffeine

or whatever other player, and then open one of the files you have problems with. Then, we can copy and paste the text from the console window and paste here for us to check.

When I tried it in root, I was in root and kaffeine ran the saved kaffeine capture quite OK.

When I was in my account, I could not even right click or left click on the capture. nothing would vivibly happen but from that moment onwards, after trying to click on the capture, any attempt to close Konqueror resulted in a long delay then a message asking if I wanted to leave it running or to stop it. If I stopped it, then restarting konqueror resulted in not being able to open anything in konqueror. I then needed to log out and back in again. Provided I did not click on the captures or other videos, everything else was workable again.

Alas IanW, I cannot do that since I have fresh installed, as I mentioned earlier, and no longer have the problem.

I am not looking for a current solution, rather some possibilities of what might have been the problem so I can look out for them/it in the future.

Thanks all for trying so far.

Cheers. John.