Flash Problems [solved]

viking777

Yesterday I tried to watch a video on this site:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos

I was surprised to find I can't watch a single one. I have 6 different Linux versions on my computer and all display the same warning (Flash out of date or javascript not turned on). In all cases this is incorrect. I do have javascript turned on and my Flash is version 10. I have tried with flashplugin-non free and with the adobe flash plugin but neither of those works. I have also tried an earlier version of Firefox, a suggestion I found online, that made no difference either. I have no problem with Youtube videos or bbc iplayer, just this site. It is not a big deal to me I can live without it, but I am surprised that Linux can't display anything on this site. It used to be a common problem but I thought it had gone away.

I should tell you that if I visit the Adobe test page it tells me that Flash is correctly installed and functioning, and I am using a 32 bit OS not 64 bit. Also the site plays perfectly on my wifes XP system so it is not a site problem.

What flash technology is this site using that Linux can't handle?

Edited by viking777

Well, I am real glad all you guys can view it OK, as Kieth said it is a good site (and a great TV programme if you are in the UK), it is just a shame that I can't view it on any one of 6 distros.

I cleared my browser cache but that made no difference.

In the middle of typing this I just had a thought, I wonder what will happen if I try to view it from a live cd rather than an installed system? I'll give it a go and report back.

EDIT. No difference, same error message - it obviously can't be a cache problem with a live cd.

Edited by viking777

Now this makes me laugh my socks off. For a long time I used Opera as my default browser, but I stopped doing so because it had too many problems with Flash related sites. I fire up Opera and go to the Top Gear site, and what do you know - it plays!!. So this is not a problem with my laptop or Linux it is a problem with Firefox. Perhaps it is time for me to go back to Opera again, I always preferred it anyway.

I have marked this as solved now. Firstly Opera plays the page I wanted without trouble (and is a better browser anyway) and secondly I found the answer for Firefox as well. If you are running AdBlock plus on Firefox, which I am, then it appears to be interfering with Flash player 10.

The answer is to disable Adblocking for the page you want to watch, the video will then play (least it does for me).

EDIT. Or is it solved? Thing is, a few posts ago I mentioned that I tried it with a live cd and it didn't work. It is highly unlikely that a live cd would have the AdBlock plugin running so maybe that is not the answer either? Will we ever know?

Edited by viking777

Just read this thread as i am having problems with FF 3.0.5 and i think, Flash.

Occasionally i go to sites that contain flash players and FF shuts down, just Boof! and gone. i can reproduce this over and over so its not a one off.

I just disabled Ad Block and tried again and it works perfectly. Seems to be some incompatability there, somewhere.