Baldurs Gate II SoA

Guest nikki6x

Guest nikki6x

Hi. There is someone that make run Baldur's Gate 2?? I try with WINE but whe i try to install it say that find iKernel.exe..... (i see a file called like this into BG2 CD1 but I don't know what I must do with it...).

Please help me! Tnx

Nikki :shock:

You need WineX, and it is hard to get working, if you can get it to go at all. The multi-disc install is a pain in the ass with WineX, because you need to copy everything to the hard drive first and then run the install from there.

If you have a really fast computer, it will be playable if you get it to run, but for my system, it was horribly slow... But this was with a slightly outdated WineX version (I no longer support Transgaming for various reasons) and on a 1.2GHz system with only 512MB of SDRAM and a GeForce4 Ti4200 with 128MB, so YMMV.

BTW, Wine is starting to get more and more DirectX support, so it might work someday, but since I think this game uses InstallShield, you still need WineX.

While transgaming's wineX is a pay-for program, you don't have to keep your subscription up to continue to use it. You can get your subscription for as little as $35 for a 6 mos. block (trust me, you'll need the 6 mos. as they will likely update the RPMs at least once in that time). They are currently in release 3.1, and are continuing to better their product, including efforts to re-work it for the commercial end user to help with ports of proprietary business apps (this is likely where they will get the bulk of their cash). It only took them 8 weeks to port The SIMS, and most of that was spent on copy protection issues.

You can also get the CVS. However, the CVS can be a pain to get set up. The RPMs are easier. Still there are always problems, like DOlson says. I currently use SuSE 8.2 (changed from Mandrake 8.2) and my WineX installation isn't working right now (Goofy errors, and little time to track them down).

You are better off running native titles, like Neverwinter Nights. There are a few other RPG ports in the works I believe, including one game from Russia that was half-way decent (if you are into RPGs).