Any XFCE users give me a bit of advice? [solved]

viking777

I am still experimenting with XFCE as a replacement for KDE4, and I am getting on reasonably well, but I would like some help with the applet 'xfce4-volstatus-icon'. This icon would greatly help me with running XFCE, but it doesn't seem to work.

Here is a quote from goodies.xfce.org on how it should work:

Usage

Simply run ‘xfce4-volstatus-icon’ (e.g. from the ‘Run Program...’ dialog). On first use, it will ask you if you want to start it every time Xfce starts. Obviously, it’s not too useful if you don’t, so I’d suggest you say yes here. You can later disable it in the ‘Autostarted Applications’ settings panel if you change your mind.

Normally, you won’t even notice it running. If you plug in a removable drive, the icon will appear in your system tray. Single-clicking the icon will bring up a dialog box with a list of devices and volumes plugged in, where you can also remove devices. Right-clicking the icon gives you a quick method to eject a particular volume via a popup menu.

When there are no removable devices attached, the icon hides itself to save space.

But it doesn't do that. It hides itself alright, but it stays hidden no matter how many USB devices you plug in.

Does anyone have it working? If so can you tell me how you did it?

EDIT. The process is running btw it just isn't doing anything useful.

Edited by viking777

i've only uxed X very lightly w/ xubuntu, but what happens when you drop a cd/dvd in the drive that is known good with information.

xubu loads this automatically so I didnt have to set it up, BUT it also showed the contents of my cd's immediately upon insertion.

how do you have them setup? automount?