Samba and Security Level

Guest Soulthief

Guest Soulthief

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up some Samba shares but am having some problems.

I've stripped out everything from my smb.conf file except the bare min. I can see the server

from a Windows box but when I try to connect it says the server requires a password.

When I supply the password I used in smbpasswd it says it's incorrect.

I've tried with both encrypted yes and no in the conf file and it's the same with both.

NFS,telnet and ssh work fine but ftp doesn't. If I try to connect with ftp it list the modules

installed and then disconnects. I can ftp to localhost from the server though.

When I installed Mandrake 8.2, as I was building a server, I selected a higher security

level then the "standard" which was the default. Could this be the problem ? If so, where

should I start looking ? I've checked /etc/hosts.allow and deny and there's nothing in them

except comments (should there be ?).

Could someone please point me in the direction of which files I should be looking at or

somewhere in the docs that will tell me about the security levels as I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks,

John.

Guest maynord

One thing you might try is check your Samba password file (usually in the samba directory). First, the converted UNIX user names should be there. Second, if the password has multiple XXXXXXs, then it has not yet been converted to an encripted password. This will give you the behaviour you described.

I use Webmin for Samba. In the user password area, select "New". This will convert the password from XXXX to encripted. Then all should work --

Robert

Guest Soulthief
One thing you might try is check your Samba password file (usually in the samba directory). First, the converted UNIX user names should be there.  Second, if the password has multiple XXXXXXs, then it has not yet been converted to an encripted password.  This will give you the behaviour you described. 

I use Webmin for Samba.  In the user password area, select "New".  This will convert the password from XXXX to encripted.  Then all should work -- 

Robert

Haha, got it.

Chalk one up for the Gui guys ! (Sorry, couldn't resist that :twisted: )

Checked all the files you suggest and they all looked OK, tried Webmin and converted users, still no luck.

Then I checked "Edit Samba Users and Passwords" and for every user there is a "No Password"

checkbox, these had all defaulted to being ticked (don't know where this is in the config files).

Unticking them for the users and restarting Samba let me see and map drives.

Thanks for the tip.

John

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I'm trying to set up some Samba shares but am having some problems.  

I've stripped out everything from my smb.conf file except the bare min. I can see the server

from a Windows box but when I try to connect it says the server requires a password.

When I supply the password I used in smbpasswd it says it's incorrect.

I've tried with both encrypted yes and no in the conf file and it's the same with both.

NFS,telnet and ssh work fine but ftp doesn't. If I try to connect with ftp it list the modules

installed and then disconnects. I can ftp to localhost from the server though.

When I installed Mandrake 8.2, as I was building a server, I selected a higher security

level then the "standard" which was the default. Could this be the problem ? If so, where

should I start looking ? I've checked /etc/hosts.allow and deny and there's nothing in them

except comments (should there be ?).

Could someone please point me in the direction of which files I should be looking at or  

somewhere in the docs that will tell me about the security levels as I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks,

John.

The correct answer is:

For each user who is going to access the samba server, do (as root):

# smbpasswd -a <username>