File size for Gimp2

Rowan

If the file command doesn't identify it as jpeg, then Gimp won't either. Here's what I get

[greg@halfway ~]$ file /home/greg/Pictures/kdm-test/pc070177.jpg
/home/greg/Pictures/kdm-test/pc070177.jpg: JPEG image data, EXIF standard 2.21

This tells me that Gimp is not your problem. It appears that the jpeg files are corrupted somehow.

I have checked other photos that are still on the camera concerned, downloaded some to my 'home' directory and all of them gave some sort of error message - some would open ok but still with errors. Others wouldn't open at all although 'properties' show them to all be .jpp format.

I am beginning to suspect that it might be a problem with the camera not being compatible some how so I will try do check them in windows in the near future.

I think that this episode is now finished.

Thanks to all for advice.

Both pictures that you posted appear correctly here. For both pictures, the "file" tool recognises them properly as JPEG files, and gimp opens them without problem.

If you download these pictures from this thread and you still have the same problems (file thinks that they're gzip files, and gimp can't open them) then there's something extremely strange with your system, and transferring files with another application apart from Konqueror won't do you any good.

Are you sure you're having problems with the same files that you're showing us?

I downloaded both the photos that I uploaded and nither of them would open with gimp,showfoto or kuickshow - they both showed the same gimp error: Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x1f 0x8b. Strangely I tried downloading just the thumbnail picture and that worked ok

Yes we are talking about the same picture.

I have double checked and opened photos taken with another camera and my cellphone with no problems at all so I am at a loss. Maybe it is just that there are problems with some models of camera that just don't seem to work right. Because you were able to open the uploads with gimp I am beginning to suspect that it is just a compatibility problem.

There are only four photos that I am trying to edit (for uploading to another forum) so I will just use windows for the job and call it a day.

Much thanks for assisting me.

I downloaded both the photos that I uploaded and nither of them would open with gimp,showfoto or kuickshow - they both showed the same gimp error: Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x1f 0x8b.

That's odd. In your earlier post you said that showfoto and kuickshow worked fine and that only gimp had the problem.

In any case, it's clear that the file (if you downloaded it from mub) isn't a gzip file and it doesn't start with 0x1f 0x8b. So either it's an obscure bug in Gimp (which is fixed in my 2008.1 release) or a bug in something that Gimp uses (which has also been fixed) or something more weird on your machine.

I'd upgrade to a more recent Mandriva anyway, not only because of bug fixes like this but also more recent versions of all the applications, and more importantly security fixes (which I don't think are given for 2006 any more).

What I was meaning is thet kuickshow and showfoto will open the originals in my 'home' folder but not the downloaded pictures.

I downloaded 2008 several months ago and installed it - what a BIG mistake. I couldn't even configure the graphics properly. My graphics card is a Radeon 9700 Pro and it's configuration was lumped together with several other 'lesser' models (if I recall correctly). 2006 recognises my card and even asks if I want to cofigure the heads independently as well as other things which is rather good - I do remember thinking, at the time, that it was rather like sending Godzilla over Mount Panorama on HQ Holdes tyres. I did several installs with still no joy so I threw the disc away.

I might investigate 2008.1 or whatever is out now in the hope that it is better.

In the mean time I will use windows for any photo editing work as that is the only thing that is upseting an other wise ok system.