File size for Gimp2

Rowan

I am trying to open a picture in Gimp2 but I am told the 'Plug-In could not open image'.

I have previously opened and altered photos of about 200k size but this photo is about 1.5Mb. Is there a size limit for photos in the Gimp2 ? If there is a size limit how can I reduce the size down without losing too much detail ?

Cheers

ps I am using 2006 powerpack

I would have asked the same question as Ian: what's the file format you were trying to open?

This suggests that it's not Gimp itself that's giving you the problem, but it needs a plug-in to open it and the plug-in cannot open it. If it was due to size, I would have imagined gimp to say something about the size of the image...

'Plug-In could not open image'.

There is a setup in preferences for max image size (in Environment - Resource consumption - Maximun new image size). The Gimp sometimes tells the user that the image you are trying to work on is bigger than the set max image size. But this would only ask you what to do (keep working on it or not) - it would not refuse to open the image.

BTW, have you updated Gimp from 2.4.x to 2.6.0?

Disclaimer: I'm currently at work on my WinXP Pro and I have only access to a Windows version of the Gimp. I'm not sure if the menu items are 100% the same in win and Linux versions.

If you haven't deleted the photos from the camera/memory card or stick try downloading them again to your HD. Perhaps the .jpg files are corrupted someway...

As for the version history, there's a file for changes from 2.6.0 to the latest 2.6.3 (not from the earlier version though) here: http://developer.gimp.org/NEWS-2.6

Try loading the photos into another application, like Firefox, or Konqueror, or showFoto, or any of the other picture viewing applications. Is Gimp the only application to have a problem with it? Do you get any other, more meaningful error messages from the other apps?

100% sure it's not the size of the file that's causing the problem. Where are the jpgs now, are they on your hard drive (and if so on what kind of partition), or on the memory card in a card reader, or where are you trying to open them from?

The photos in question have all been copied to my HD (in my Home directory) and they all open perfectly in firefox, kuickshow, showfoto and konqueror and I believe that they are still in the camera's memory.

I have checked other smaller photos from last year and they all opened ok. Just as a matter of thought - how many variations are there for .jpg format. I ask because I have seem various .mpeg and .mpg formats that seem to be different.

Maybe it is the camera itself that is the problem - all the other photos were taken on other cameras and, in one case, my cellphone, with no problems. Is it possible that the camera is using a different .jpg format that is not recognised ?

.mpeg/.mpg are usually video files. gimp doesn't open video files, IIRC.

it should, however, be able to open any jpg/jpeg file. would you mind posting one of the images that won't open in gimp? then we can test it to see if it's your setup (i.e. open it in gimp on another computer and see what happens).

Edited by tyme

It opens without any problems for me using GIMP 2.4.7 that comes with Mandriva 2009.0, and I'm fairly sure it would have opened in the version that came with 2006 for me. It's just a .jpg image. Open GIMP with the cli in a terminal with

gimp

then open the image and post any errors for us to see.

Ok Greg I have saved the picture by saving it from my last posting - maybe that would have made it work. It would not open as you suggested (command line) and gave me the following error:-

Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x1f 0x8b

Opening '/home/rowan/Download/pc070177.jpg' failed:

Plug-In could not open image

As I mentioned earlier I am using 2.2.8 so it seems strange that it won't open. I will explore updating to 2.6.3 maybe.