Is my 3 mth old Antec case/psu/GeForce2 failing? SOLVED

bvc

I'm not certain its the actual degauss itself but the associated charge either generated or as a consequence.

i.e. the coil being cycled through a magnetic field will generate a charge.

The reason I brought it up was I thought since bvc's having problems with his monitor he might be doing this more often.

The wavy lines sounds like magnetic interference from an alternating source but it could also be radio interference. Maybe soemone next door is using a video sender or something that interferes ??

Anyway, a good earth is essential. In the states you only use 110v as opposed to out 220v so from a safety point of view its less important but its still a good idea to protect your electronics :D

I had a problem a while ago in Africa, the earth carried about 100v from soemwhere although the current was very low. Several things in your home generate VERY HIGH voltages. TV's, monitors and even the electronic spark on gas oven. A good earth is essential becuase if this appliance fails it can feed this into your supply.

My problem was becuase it used the water pipes for earth and in summer they just ran through sand before becoming plastic. The solution was to stick a steel plate in the ground with a rod attached and connect this to the water pipe. I situated it under the AC water outlet so the ground was kept moist.

To measure earth leakage you just need to check the potiential between neutral and earth.

Measuring power use: dots for spacing :D

______ __________________{power strip}

..........||

..........A

TThe Antec psu came in the Antec case bought May 23rd. Way past Fry's 30 days. There's a One Year with Antec but they'd probably want the entire case (their way of getting out of psu replacement) and also it's not honest. The electric co. fried it not an poor Antec product.

You are quite wrong about Antec (from my personal experience). I purchased a top of the line Antec case with a 400W PS, built a new computer with all new parts. Ran 2 days, gave a slight burnt electrical smell and shut down. PS was DEAD. Called Antec, no worries send PS back (not whole box) and we'll exchange. Been up and running since.

Antec stands behind (and on top of) their products. www.antec-inc.com

Every vendor that I know has problems with power supplies. The good vendors don't hassle with the exchange, and the bad ones make you proove the even own a computer before they "think" about exchanging it! :roll:

Antec is a good vendor.

I am putting a roof on my house. (It's raining, so I'm here typing!) One of the guys said that I missed a golden opportunity of getting a roof because of a hail storm last year. I replied that it would not have been honest. He said that that was up to the adjusters. Since it was a known issue, evryone was getting roofs.

So, leave it up to Antec.

I had a power supply die on me. A capacitor inside blew itself to bits (with a rather loud bang). I think these guys are pushing the ratings of their components to the limit. Capacitors last longest if run at about 80% of rated voltage. Although in my case, either the cap was bad or they exceeded the ratings.

Glitz.

Can a bad video card damage a monitor or vice versa?

-The wavey 17" monitor was still wavey on the old machine. (on both machines). Horrible in win98 but not bad at all in linux.

-The 19" monitor is fine with brightness and color tweaking on the old machine. I tried the 19" on the new machine (with nvidia) and it's not bad at all in win98 and horrible in linux :shock: ...what in the world is going on?

So, this leads me to believe the nvidia (in new machine) is bad AND the 17" monitor is bad. BUT why is the 19" so bad in linux when the 17" isn't? In other words, both are wavey when hooked up the the nvidia but the 17" is wavey in the Intel i810AGP as well. I can't afford anyhting else rt now much less 2 monitors and a video card.

DESK-The new machine is in a desk/cabinet at the bottom left.

-The monitor is smack dab in the middle of the desk.

-3" Cambridge Soundworks speakers to the lt and rt 18" from monitor with the SubWoofer/Amp on the floor at your feet, 18" from machine in cabinet (back and front open, only sidewalls) and 2.5' from the monitor.

-USR External modem and Logitech cordless receiver is 12" and 18" to the left of the 17" monitor.

-HP932 serial printer 12" to the rt of the monitor

BTW, when I tested the 17" on the old machine and it was wavey, I was in another room were there's is nothing but an old stereo that was 8' from the machine.

Old Machine-Is behind a filecabinet next to the new machine cabinet. They're 18" from each other.

-The 19" monitor sits on the filecabinet. The monitors are 24" from each other.

I just don't get this at all. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I bet you used drakxconfig...

Seriously, it sounds like your refresh rates are a bit off and maybe the monitors are a bit tired to boot.

Have you tried playing with xf86cfg.

You can play with the modelines interactively in small increments. I have an old gateway 19" thats been dying for a while now but careful tuning of the refresh rates helps considerably.

Anyway, good news is its free so if it doesn't work all you wated was some time.

p.s. You have to go to the 3rd tab for the screen timings....

Thanks Gowator, and of course I use drakconf. Kinda hard not to at install. You know, there has only been one distro that has ever detected my monitor and that was Libranet2.8. So, I kept the Monitor Section of that X config file and have used it for the past 4-6 mths. The Generic is what was used b4 that, but I've always edited the refresh rates to match the monitor manual, which matched what Libranet came up with.

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "monitor1"

VendorName "STC"

ModelName "eView17p"

HorizSync 30-70

VertRefresh 60-150

EndSection

I've looked in every distro for a Vendor STC and have never found it, even in Libranet :shock: ...can anyone explain that? I've also tried other, lower, refresh rates and custom modelines but nothing has ever made the slightest diff. :? ....so why bother? Oh, don't worry, I've got great eyes and work for a graphic co. so I know what I'm looking at.

Anyway, prob solved! It was the GeForce2 MX200 PCI. I just bought a cheap Apollo GeForce4 MX440 SE AGP and all is well. I d/k why the 17" did it on the Intel i810 AGP, and may still, but I'm not using it on that so who cares. I'm guessing it was kicking the bucket and was then damaged worse by the transformer prob. I'm happy :D . Out $50 but happy. Now I can play Comanche4 without configing to the guttermost and stopping and restarting the game to stop hesitation. No wonder the GF2 was toast eh? :lol:

[edited=for correct new video card]

Erm,

the full modelines (which I don't claim to understand) alter the scan frequencies etc.

You can get a fuller display, or move the disaply L-R/U-D etc to maximise your screen acreage.

The nice thing is it asks you the name of the file its going to write so you can actually play about.

I'm not a graphic design sorta guy but I can get a stabler screen and better use of screen acreage by doing this on my tired old monitors.

Anyway, its free so its worth a look.... Ive found the benefits especially on old monitors !