Volume Splash screen [solved]

Guest rgizzmo

Guest rgizzmo

I have a Dell Inspirion 5100 that MandrakeOne2009 runs fine from the CD but when I do a live install a screen appears in the center of the desktop that says volume and has a indicator bar running horizontally that will respond if I right click the speaker icon on the bottom right of the desktop. I cannot get this 'volume' screen to hide, move or close. Any suggestions as to how to remove this from the desktop are appreciated. As you can tell I am very new to this and will need detailed instructions if anyone has the time. This is a dual boot system and the Windows partition is working fine and so is Mandrivia except for this irritating screen taking up the desktop real estate. I have tried restart and rebooted but it still shows up...Please help!

Thanks.

Rgizzmo

Guest rgizzmo
Are you sure this is 2009 and not 2008 Spring?

I think so. I downloaded the iso on Oct.17th, It is the one currently showing on the http://www.mandriva.com/en/download page. As I said, everthing seems to run fine from the CD but when I go to do a live install the volume splash screen shows up. I configured a wireless pcmcia card using the CD and this transfers over just fine. Very confusing to me.

I had exactly this problem with 2008 Spring, also on a Dell. Curiously this problem didn't appear when running from the live CD.

The answer was to disable a service called kmilo (see full thread here) - although it turns out each user has to disable it, so it's probably better to uninstall it if possible.

Guest rgizzmo

I am very embarrassed here. I was trying to run Spring 2008! The suggestion to turn off KMILO did work but after I discovered I my mistake and downloaded ONE 2009 everything is working great. It even detected the AIRLINK wireless card correctly and I did not have to do anything other than select the proper security protocol for the wireless network and enter the password. Great job to the developers on this release. I am a very happy camper. Also thanks for all the suggestions.