KDE 3.5 won't start

paulrstu

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will do that and then type it up. Thanks.

I can get the results of df /dev/hda6 which are exactly the same as stated above. I cannot find the hieroglyphics on the keyboard to input the rest of the code you give starting from the straight up and down line and continuing du -/tmp

In respect of df /dev/hda6 it shows

Size 39G, Used 39G, Avail 0 Used 100 per cent Mounted on is blank

If I change the directory to tmp and then do DU it says:

1.0k ./mc-paul

1.0k ./kde-paul

2.0k ./ksocket-paul

If I log in as root and do the same DU command the output is similar.

I do not know how to do the line of command you sent but what seems certain is that a drive is 39gig full and the other drives are less than 4% full. I do not store much and can only think some automatic downloading has filled a drive dev/hda6 Another day off line.

If it boots in Verbose mode a line appears which states "Warning Free space for </> is 0 which is inferior to 20000." It all seems to come back to dev/hda6. Is there no simple way of viewing it and deleting whatever tripe has automatically downloaded? Thanks again. Monday morning and being without it whilst popping email accounts using jbmail is a bit annoying.

Ok, the mountd point of hda6 cannot be blank, I assume it just says '/'?

This means the root filesystem, as in the default filesystem where everything is located in apart from what is explicitly under other mounted filesystems.

Can you maybe post the whole output of 'df'?

If there is no separate /var mountpoint it would be easiest to delete stuff there.

Have you deleted stuff under /var/tmp/ yet, as I mentioned earlier?

Also under /var/log, you can delete any older logs, they end with '1.gz' or '2.gz' or any other number followed by '.gz'

If it boots in Verbose mode a line appears which states "Warning Free space for </> is 0 which is inferior to 20000." It all seems to come back to dev/hda6. Is there no simple way of viewing it and deleting whatever tripe has automatically downloaded? Thanks again. Monday morning and being without it whilst popping email accounts using jbmail is a bit annoying.

You can run:

find / -mount -size +10M -ctime -3

This will list all files on '/' (hda6) which are bigger than 10 megabytes and that have been created or modified in the last 3 days.

This should therefore likely reveal you the file(s) that filled up your filesystem.

Please note this command can take several minutes to run, wait until it's done, don't interrupt it.

Edited by tux99

I really do not understand this. It certainly is blank. At the top there is a line saying Size etc. and underneath there is nothing hence I used the term blank. That was the whole of the output DF. The difficulty is that whilst I appreciate your advice I have not the faintest clue as to where to find var/ whatever or where to delete it. Or how to delete it or anything. I have not deleted stuff under var/tmp because I have no idea where to find it let alone delete stuff in it. I will go back to the pile of **** and try wandering around and getting nowhere for an hour then let you know how much further I haven't progressed. It really seems crap and not remotely intuitive or logical.

Here we go again. This time I have tried cf whilst being in failsafe rather than console log in:

It states

Dev/HDA6 39G 39G 100% /

Dev/HDA7 97G 3.4G 4% /home

Dev HDA1 9.8G 141M 2% /mnt/windows

When I try to runfind/mount-size+10M-ctime-3 it says file or directory not found.

No doubt I am meant to be running this somewhere else but Mandriva keep that quiet. More fun to have people playing with code than using software I assume.

Insofar as VARmountpoint and VAR/tmp is concerned. No idea where to find them or how to find them and no guidance from Mandriva as usual. Will keep bodging along and listening to your suggestions which are all much appreciated and without which the machine would be off the desk by now. I hate this XP Professional but at least it works.

I really do not understand this. It certainly is blank. At the top there is a line saying Size etc. and underneath there is nothing hence I used the term blank. That was the whole of the output DF. The difficulty is that whilst I appreciate your advice I have not the faintest clue as to where to find var/ whatever or where to delete it. Or how to delete it or anything. I have not deleted stuff under var/tmp because I have no idea where to find it let alone delete stuff in it. I will go back to the pile of **** and try wandering around and getting nowhere for an hour then let you know how much further I haven't progressed. It really seems crap and not remotely intuitive or logical.

If that's the whole output of 'df' then that means you have filled up your only Linux filesystem.

To find go to /var or /var/tmp use the 'cd' command:

cd /var

or

cd /var/tmp

with the command:

ls -la

you can list the contents of the directory you are currently in.

I'd recommend you to read the following to understand the Linux filesystem structure and the basic commands better:

http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_intro/sect_03_01.html

http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_intro/sect_03_03.html

When I try to runfind/mount-size+10M-ctime-3 it says file or directory not found.

You need to run the 'find' command EXACTLY as I typed it including all spaces and with the same upper/lower case.

By the way, if you fill up your Windows XP filesystem, you will have even bigger problems than this, but if you prefer it, then by all means go back to Windows, everyone to his own...

I just helped a friend yesterday who had a Windows XP install so full of spyware and viruses (despite he had an anti-virus software installed) that we had no choice but for him to reinstall Windows, with all the hassle that entails (drivers, software, configuration, ...)

He spent all afternoon up until late in the night dealing with it.

I ran it exactly as you stated it. I really do not have the faintest clue. What is the difference between Failsafe log in and console log in? Do I log in as root or as myself? Why won't it let me delete anything? MC is just a GUI showing me the file system but none of the commands seem to work. I will try again to run the command you gave precoisely as you gave it having looked up how to do a | symbol. I will try and run it in console log in as root? It is madness. Nothing seems to work the way it ought too. Reinstall windows. Put the CD in and overwrite it and good night. I am guessing that the problem I have is simple so why do they make it so complicate just to afford a remedy. 36 hours now to delete a couple of files their software installed without seeking permission? That's secure. Okay going back onto the pile of crap and trying to retype precisely what you gave. In Windows of course it would probably work in safemode and I would simply highlight the text and paste it. I hate Windows with a passion and have delighted with Mandriva over the last year. The way this is going I will be a convert back to the scumbags in Seattle.

Do I log in as root or as myself? Why won't it let me delete anything? MC is just a GUI showing me the file system but none of the commands seem to work.

you should log in as root as otherwise you won't be able to delete most things (neither with 'mc ' nor with 'rm').

Console log in confirms no such file or directory as VAR yet I can browse to it in MC but cannot get any commands to run on it. Will now reboot and spend another ten minutes trying the same thing in failsafe log in. See if it exists there. If not then back to MC and I can look at the files and highlight in them but not delete anything. Brilliant so clever a system,.

Okay. Have now done some research and it transpires that MC commands only work when you press the function key with that number and neither the number or the first letter of the command. Then got into kde and deleted kyocera file. When I ran the piece of code given for files larger than 10 megs less than 3 days old I was provided with four files. These were all in the VAR area. One was var/log/kernal/warnings1 which I could not browse to in MC. One was in syslog1. which states that the file is 8520 meg!! One was in syslog.1.gz which was 1322meg and one was in messages.1 which was also 8520 meg. Can I delete this stuff and will that help? Now in front of machine for another hour. Thanks again in anticipation.