Wireless Failed to Connect

Guest emotionchaos

Guest emotionchaos

Greetings linux users,

I have installed Mandriva 2009 on my Samsung R60plus everything works fine as it should be in any good linux but there are issue with my wireless connection, once I installed Mandriva it installed native Atheros driver ofr my Wcard, I hvae connected to my access point, all works fine BINGO, but then I did updates for Mandriva , did reboot(cant remmeber why) logging in and trying to connect to access point it telle me connection failed see control center for configurations, I've checked all configs all good as it was from the start but it doesnt connect. So I've decide ok I install Mandriva again , did it connects fine ALL GOOD but then wake in morning to do my work same crap again connection failed and umm strange , comming to work tryyng to connect there same business again.

I hope I explained clear enough if someone aware what going on with my lovly Mandriva do let me know

Kind regards

Chaos

Welcome on board!

I have a Samsung R40 for work, with an Atheros chipset (I think, as the “device†is ath0). With the newer Mandriva release, I have this strange issue that the key is not set! So instead I have to issue two commands at the command line, as root: iwconfig first for setting the key, the access point and the mode, and dhclient next for connecting. If I use ifup (equivalent to the GUI), then the key gets lost and connection fails.

Good luck! Wifi has always been a hard part in Linux in my experience.

Yves.

Guest emotionchaos

Hi I have tried as you said but it still keep saying connection fail, also woul like to add it having same trouble with unsecured connection type, I am going to try installing madwifi drivers may be it will help, but it is very strange to me as it worked in a first place and then just stoped.

Guest emotionchaos

I've tried to install nmadwifi drivers but apparently mandriva kernel doesnt support build, no idea why there is no library cald build:P

SO I decide to try using windows driver's option, imported windows drivers, bingo it worked, but then I got hope same problem so I had to clear all configs and setup network from new then it worked again, it works but very annoying doing all this steps in order to connect wifi

Very complicated in my opinion.

I simply used Mandriva packages, following the errata and release notes where applicable.

It simply worked (at last…). Mandriva 2009 is the distro with the fewer wifi problems I tried so far.

Yves.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest abraxas

I have the same strange behavior with my 2009 KDE install on an Acer Aspire 5720Z, which has the Atheros chipset. As far as I am aware I should have the latest kernel and an updated system. But the connection to my wireless network seems erratic - sometimes it works and when it does I can reboot the computer (on the same day) and it will connect with no problem again. Then I switch everything off and the next day it won't connect. My network key is being saved, but I can't connect.

Has anyone found a workaround for this issue?

I was contemplating to try the network-manager applet, but I am not sure a) if that's a good idea when using the K-desktop and B) if that will solve the problem, or make matters worse. So I am hoping that someone can give me advice on that.

I have experienced a similar problem on my aspire one, which runs the latest Ubuntu release, but there some update seems to have solved the problem.

I wonder if it is a genuine bug, or if I have just overlooked something in the settings.....

• 1 month later...
Guest Maternitus

On my Acer Aspire the wireless is also Atheros and it just worked out of the box. Mandriva was, next to Fedora Core, the only one which did that. I am very satisfied how neat it just worked and still works. :-)