Mandriva coming to an end

tux_man

i heard thAT MANDRIVA manager has canceld tow contracts for tow of the most important developers in the company

and i heard that the finincial structure is in a bad condition or the finincial managment is in its worst shap

is that true or false ?

and what is the consquinces if this information are true ?

is that mean that mandriva is going to its end..?

sorry for my english

[moved from Forum Discussion by spinynorman]

bah! arctic beat me...guess that's what happens when you have to pee mid-post :jester: either way, here's my [best of my knowledge] executive summary:

mandriva canceled several contracts, two of which happened to be people who the community believes played a vital role in improvements (in mandriva and it's community) during their time there. one of them is adam williamson, who frequents this forum (and several other mandriva community "hotspots") and has been extremely helpful and knowledgeable. the community is understandably upset about that decision.

financially, mandriva has had trouble before - they filed for bankruptcy some years ago, and are still trying to recover from that. i would guess these budget cuts (that resulted in the canceled contracts) have something to do with them getting out of that situation, but no one has stated such (at least not that i've seen). that being said, i don't think mandriva is going anywhere just yet - but i am curious as to what their plans are for the future.

fear not, however: you (probably) won't have to change your distro.

Edited by tyme

As Tyme very wisely says, there is no need to move from Mandriva any time soon. I think it will be around for some time yet. With the obvious large community public backlash that is occurring at the moment, we may be lucky and see some rethinking and backtracking of intended moves. :)

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

With the obvious large community public backlash that is occurring at the moment, we may be lucky and see some rethinking and backtracking of intended moves. :)

Cheers. John.

Well, that may soon be too late, John. If any of the other companies are any wiser they will seize the opportunity (of hiring Adam).

Yes you are right Dude, it seems to be heading that way.

I only now realise that the other person dropped was a key and valuable man.(I can't remember his name unfortunately)

It is Adam who has spoken out about this chaps fantastic contribution. Adam being the perfect gent that he is, speaks very highly of him and says this chaps contribution was bigger and more important than his own activities. Adam and the other chap will cost Mandriva dearly if they are finally let go.

This catastrophe reminds me of all the scumbag CEOs of all the failed and failing companys, who draw tens and tens of millions of dollar salaries (plus even bigger bonuses regardless of the company failure), and are supposedly trying to help the companys save money by sacking staff but they DO NOT and WILL NOT reduce their own salaries. I other words get rid of the productive workers wages so that their own insane salaries can be maintained with the money saved.

You can bet your life that Mr. Mandriva CEO and the other execs are not planning on cutting their take home pay regardless of how that might benefit Mandrivas books. It seems that having been in control of a company that fails is not a negative on execs resumes. They seem to effortlessly move on to another company. Yet if you or I failed at our job, we would be hard pressed to find another position in the same field.

Cheers. John.