9.2 rc1 SCREENSHOTS! ->I'm the first<-

MottS

Hey .. WHAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZUP!

Ok so I did trash Gentoo and replaced it with MDK 9.2 rc1. The install is WOW .. this boot screen is WOW .. and 'till now it is really stable.

I used the hard drive install method .. no need to burn cds. That was fast and easy.

So far pretty much nothing has changed since 9.1 exept the installation and the boot screen. There is also a 'Suspend to disk' option in the KDE menu.. doesn't work right away though. My digital camera was automatically detected my Linux .. even created a /mnt/camera by itself with the entry in fstab... I'm impress really. Look at that:

dev/sda1 /mnt/camera auto user,codepage=850,kudzu,iocharset=iso8859-15,exec,umask=0,noauto 0 0

The supermount thing is still f'ed up on my system.. nothing new. So here are 4 screenshots for your pleasure community!

The install screen .. notice the 9.2 rc1

Install1.jpg

The boot screen .. WOW

Install2.jpg

KDE 3.1.3 .. bleading edge ;-)

KDE3.1.3.jpg

Wow .. bleading edge too ..

SuspendToDisk.jpg

MOttS

suspend to disk same as sleep mode or standby?
As far as I know, no. all those modes are only percentages of activity. With suspend to disk, the session (mostly memory) is written somewhere on the disk, and then the computer is really shut down (0% activity): you can even unplug it. Next time you boot, the kernel detects that a session is saved to disk, and instead of booting as usual, it restores this session, and all goes on as before the suspend.

Hopefully, we won't have to have a super-new computer to use this option. They might have used a patch like this one: http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/ (wow!! last time I went to their site, it looked abandonned and text-only! They've done a lot of work in 1 year)...

Yves.

. With suspend to disk, the session (mostly memory) is written somewhere on the disk, and then the computer is really shut down (0% activity): you can even unplug it. Next time you boot, the kernel detects that a session is saved to disk, and instead of booting as usual, it restores this session, and all goes on as before the suspend.

So as long as you didn't leave alot of open apps, it should boot quicker??

Reboot should always be quicker this way. AFAIK, How much quicker does not depend on the number of applications, but rather on the total memory consuption. Besides, according the the home page (see link on previous post), suspend and restart time both depend a lot on the number of drivers/modules to stop/unload before suspend, and start/load at reboot.

Yves.

Hey thanks guys for the little SuspendToDisk tut!!

I discovered something new about urpmi. Is this new or I just didn't use RPM distro for too long? .. We can now select which package we want in KDE based package. Let me explain. Usually, if one wants Kmail he has to install kdenetwork. In the same time, he get lots of other shit like korn, kget, etc, etc, etc. But now, we can choose which package we want in the KDE* packages. LOOK:

[root@localhost gd]# urpmi kdenetwork

Pour satisfaire les dépendances, les paquetages suivants vont être installés (9 Mo):

kdenetwork-3.1.3-19mdk.i586

kdenetwork-kdict-3.1.3-19mdk.i586

kdenetwork-kget-3.1.3-19mdk.i586

kdenetwork-kit-3.1.3-19mdk.i586

kdenetwork-kmail-3.1.3-19mdk.i586

kdenetwork-knode-3.1.3-19mdk.i586

kdenetwork-korn-3.1.3-19mdk.i586

kdenetwork-krfb-3.1.3-19mdk.i586

kdenetwork-ksirc-3.1.3-19mdk.i586

kdenetwork-ktalk-3.1.3-19mdk.i586

kdenetwork-kxmlrpcd-3.1.3-19mdk.i586

libkdenetwork2-ksirc-3.1.3-19mdk.i586

Est-ce correct ? (O/n)

There we go for Kmail:

[root@localhost gd]# urpmi kdenetwork-kmail

installation de //mnt/CD2/Mandrake/RPMS2/kdenetwork-kmail-3.1.3-19mdk.i586.rpm

Préparation...              ##################################################

1:kdenetwork-kmail    ##################################################

[root@localhost gd]#

Wow .. finally!

MOttS

Guest dardack

i don't know, in 9.1 which i use, when i type say urpmi kdenetwork, it says, packages available with that name in it: (at work not at home so can't quote it)

goes back to the prompt and then i can type urpmi kdenetwork-kmail and just install that. My problem is, if i want to say uninstall ALSA, it wants to take almost everything that uses sound with it, that what bites, i mean if i type urpme ALSA, just remove alsa damn it, leave everything else as is, i'll reinstall the cvs version. sigh. it's the same for almost anything, it uninstalls everything else. I wish they would fix that.

OK, you had time toplay.

What else is new ?

The suspend to disk etc. I guess could all be done with urpmi kde ??

9.1 also detects my camera etc. but ...

and I ain't figured out why, it stops working after some time? like the devices on the desktop.

It never bothered my cos I actually got the fstab entry so I just make a desktop file and use that ... but I hate it when things stop working and I can't figure out why :D

OK, you had time toplay.

What else is new ?

Well, not much

1) The display manager selection (KDM, MdkKDM, GDM, etc.) is now done in System in the MCC rather than Material .. still the wrong place to me. Other than that the MCC hasn't changed.

2) All the apps are updated (Shorewall 1.4.6b, KDE 3.1.3, Apache 2.0.45-5mdk, OpenOffice 1.0.3-2mdk, etc...)

The suspend to disk etc. I guess could all be done with urpmi kde ??

It was all set at first boot. But it is not working .. maybe have a problem with my hardware I don't know. The whole thing is done from scripts (+ a patch in the kernel). The script is suspend-scripts-1.6-1mdk. From rpmdrake-remove:

/etc/acpi/events/lid

/etc/acpi/events/power

/etc/pam.d/pmsuspend

/etc/security/console.apps/pmsuspend

/etc/sysconfig/suspend

/etc/sysconfig/suspend-scripts/suspend.control

/etc/sysconfig/suspend-scripts/suspend.d

/etc/sysconfig/suspend-scripts/suspend.d/anacron

/etc/sysconfig/suspend-scripts/suspend.d/beep

/etc/sysconfig/suspend-scripts/suspend.d/clock

/etc/sysconfig/suspend-scripts/suspend.d/hddisks

/etc/sysconfig/suspend-scripts/suspend.d/modules

/etc/sysconfig/suspend-scripts/suspend.d/network

/etc/sysconfig/suspend-scripts/suspend.d/pcmcia

/etc/sysconfig/suspend-scripts/suspend.d/services

/etc/sysconfig/suspend-scripts/suspend.d/sound

/etc/sysconfig/suspend-scripts/suspend.d/usb

/etc/sysconfig/suspend-scripts/suspend.d/xfree

/usr/bin/pmsuspend

/usr/sbin/pmsuspend

/usr/share/doc/suspend-scripts-1.6

/usr/share/doc/suspend-scripts-1.6/ChangeLog

/usr/share/doc/suspend-scripts-1.6/README.scripts

/usr/share/doc/suspend-scripts-1.6/acpi.sh

/usr/share/doc/suspend-scripts-1.6/battery.sh

/usr/share/doc/suspend-scripts-1.6/suspend.sh

/var/run/pm

So from the KDE menu nothing happens (don't know why). If I open a console and type pmsuspend the monitor goes crazy for a sec or two and then the hard drive goes off. However the CPU fan still turns. If I move the mouse, the screen reapear as it was before (with all app and such). If I press the reset button it just reboot as normal .. no the suspend to disk thing does not really work for me (for now). I have read somewhere we have to append something in lilo for it to work (append="resume /dev/hdaX") but this isn't there as we talk. Well, to me they still have to work a bit on that feature.

9.1 also detects my camera etc.  but ...

and I ain't figured out why, it stops working after some time? like the devices on the desktop. 

It never bothered my cos I actually got the fstab entry so I just make a desktop file and use that ... but I hate it when things stop working and I can't figure out why :D

I was using Gentoo before installing MDK 9.2 rc1 and this distro didn't detect my camera right away. I had to manually put my stuff in fstab and mount it manually. In MDK this is all done automatically .. no need to actually know what the OS does.. funny.

well, that's it.

MOttS