palm lifedrive, mdv2009 and pilot-link

mindwave

but PLEASE someone tell me that you can help.

I have been beating my head for weeks trying to get my Palm Lifedrive synced to my Mandriva Linux 2009 desktop.

I have installed pilot-link and kpilot. however, because of the way the lifedrive works linux sees it when you plug in the USB cable and then when you hit the hotsync button it disconnects broefly and then loses it again.

so you hotsync over the wifi network.

I have that set, I am definitely making a connection with the desktop.

HOWEVER only if i tell pilot-xfer to listen on all ports

CLI: pilot-xfer -p net:any -l while logged in as root

THEN I hit hotsync on the LD and all the files fly by on the screen of the pc and in 2 seconds the palm starts "cleaning up"

but NOTHING is synced.

I BELIEVE that 2 things are stopping me, but i dont know how to resolve it:

1) there is NO reference in /DEV/ no ttyUSBx, no ttyS12 nothing that matched, I think THATS because its coming in through the network. But in KPILOT there is a DEFINITE setting that wants to be set for the location of that device

2) i think i can probably do WITHOUT kpilot if I could just get the CLI command down pat.

last night I tried : pilot-xfer -p net:any -sync /mindwave/.kde4/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics

and saw files moving on the [alm for the very 1st time!, but nothing on the desktop was synced.

please anyone....

J

jerome@thehess.org

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

If you have Gnome installed, you could try gnome-pilot to see if it's any better. Only thing is that it also uses pilot-xfer. But maybe it's implementation is better than kpilot.

Even if you don't have Gnome installed, installing gnome-pilot should pull in the dependencies it requires to run - might be worth a shot considering your not getting anywhere with kpilot so far, other than the script I mentioned in the other thread you had on this originally. You can always remove the packages it pulled in if it doesn't work later, just make a note of them.

There's also jpilot too, maybe that might be better first than gnome-pilot if you don't have Gnome installed.

Sorry can't help any more than that, I don't have a Palm, only an ipaq, and I don't even use that either :)

Check this thread for some ideas:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-448101.html

and this one:

http://handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/PalmLifeDrive

whilst the last one goes on about putting Linux on it, there could be a section on getting it to synchronise nicely, but I didn't dig deeply in the pages to find out.

Ian,

thanks for the suggestion.

heck i have gne so far as to install Gnome (ptui!) and jpilot, still no go.

I have a REAL strong feeling that it is 100% tied into the port that MDV/pilot-link is listening on.

heres why:

in kpilot where the device is setup and most USB devices would be /dev/USB1 or serial would be /dev/pilot if I put in net:any (the same thing I use on the cli) the whole kpilot app freezes, BUT the palm DOES connect to the desktop. nothing transfers of course but still it does connect!

so i believe that if I could find out what port the wireless would come ion opn I could put net:XXXX and it might work.

finding that port is KILLING me.

I thought I saw it in mt notes but I have searched everything AND the web and havent found it again!

anyone has anymore ideaswould be greatly appreciated. I will look at those 2 links. Thanks!

J

What you could try is find out what happens when the device is plugged in. What module is loaded for it? dmesg should have this when you plug in the device. Check it after connecting.

Another thing worth trying is that if you find out exactly what module is loaded in the kernel for that device, unload it:

modprobe -r modulename

and then, do this:

modprobe usbserial

now, when you attach the device, usbserial should pick it up, instead of the module that you just unloaded, and then under dmesg, you should see a /dev/ttyUSBx device, where x is the number of the port that was activated for usbserial.

It might not work, it's just a suggestion, as I found with my GPRS mobile internet connection that it was being used by a particular module that is new, and it wouldn't work for me. But when I reverted to usbserial and blacklisted the newer module from loading, it works perfectly fine now (through pppd which needs a tty device). I know not the same, but worth a shot - it may help a little or it may not. Either way, nothing lost.

i got tied up in building a PVR last night so i didnt get a chance but i do have a question.

will this work with the LD comeing in through the network?

see the issue w./ the LD is that in linux when you press the sync button it disconnestcst and the PC loses the connestion information.

so i use the internal wifi to connect to my network and then the pc's ip address to connect to that desktop,

thanks

j

No idea, I don't have one to try it :)

usbserial though generally means it's connected to the usb port by a cable, and it then gets assigned a /dev/ttyUSBx port, where x is a number, usually 0 or depending on how many USB devices you have attached that are being seen as serial devices. So if it's only network then no, but if you can connect it with a cable - I'd do that.

unfortunately with the LD the cable isnt possible. With the LD everytime you click the hotsync button it disconnects from the USB port.

I COULD try a USB/serial converter, but then i'd have to buy a serial board for my linux PC since it doesnt have one.

coincidentally last night I WAS able to connect properly using my wife's LD and HER pc, which is also MDV 2009 and KDE4.

Next I'll try killing the daemon on mine and then connecting.

J