Mandriva Linux 2009 on HP Mini-Note 2133 Thread

tux99

I just bought a HP Mini-Note 2133 ( http://h40059.www4.hp.com/hp2133/ ) Netbook (model: FU342EA#UUZ Via C7-M 1.6Ghz, 2GB RAM, WXGA screen, 120GB HDD, 6 cell/4.5h battery) that came with Suse Linux enterprise which means I didn't pay the "Micro$oft tax" but IMHO is far inferior to Mandriva, so first thing I installed Mandriva Powerpack 2009 (download version bought from mandriva.com) on it.

Installation went smooth (I had to manually specify the screen resolution 1280x768) and the system came up fine at first boot.

Just to clarify, during installation I selected gnome desktop install and then afterwards using the software management tool I installed the KDE3 packages as that's what I really wanted, so the Mini-Note is running KDE 3.5.10 (I don't think KDE 4 is ready enough yet).

Here is the hardware I have tested:

-Graphics/Screen (VIA Chrome 9 HC):

works ok with the Openchrome driver that comes with Mandriva 2009, it supports the native resolution of the display (1280x768).

Obviously no 3D as the driver doesn't include it.

Unfortunately the binary driver from the VIA website ( http://linux.via.com.tw/support/downloadFiles.action ) is not available for Mandriva :(

-RAM (1x DDR2 SDRAM SODIMM slot):

it recognized all 2GB installed without problems.

-onboard 10/100/1000 LAN (Broadcom BCM5788):

recognized and works fine, uses tg3 kernel module

-SDHC card slot :

recognized and works fine (seen as usb mass storage device)

-Expresscard 54/34 slot:

tested successfully with a PCIe CF adapter card (noname, model: EXP-CF PCIe, made in Taiwan)

works fine after loading manually the pciehp kernel module with:

# modprobe pciehp pciehp_force=1

to make permanent:

echo "options pciehp pciehp_force=1" >> /etc/modprobe.conf

echo pciehp >> /etc/modprobe.preload

-USB 2.0 ports:

work fine (tested with a usb hdd and a usb mouse)

-Audio (VIA Azalia HDAC):

recognized and works fine, both though the speakers and through the headphone plug, uses snd_hda_intel kernel module

-inbuilt stereo Microphones:

untested

-onboard VGA webcam (640x480):

recognized and works fine, shows up as CNF7070 on /dev/video0, uses uvcvideo kernel module

-external VGA port:

untested

-Bluetooth:

appears to be recognized, but as I don't have another bluetooth device it's still untested

-inbuilt WLAN (BCM4312 802.11a/b/g):

recognized and works fine with the native Linux driver, once I installed the firmware as per instructions on the following page:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#fw-b43-new

-VIA C7-M ULV 1.6GHz cpu (Bogomips: ‎3191.89):

I got cpu frequency scaling working but it didn't work out of the box, I have to do the following:

echo "e_powersaver" > /etc/modprobe.preload

and the following cpu-freq rpms installed (don't know if they are all required):

cpufreqd-2.3.3-1mdv2009.0

cpufreq-1.0-30mdv2009.0

cpufrequtils-005-2mdv2009.0

cpu_freq_throttle-0.4-6mdv2009.0

libcpufreq0-005-2mdv2009.0

libcpufreqd-2.3.3-1mdv2009.0

also I added acpi_osi="!Windows 2006" as a kernel parameter in /boot/grub/menu.lst as suggested on some ubuntu forums.

-special keys (brightness, volume, mute, sleep, lock):

brightness, volume and mute keys work fine, lock untested for now.

The sleep key brings the Mini-Note into ACPI S3 suspend state, this works (also checked logs), resum appears to work too (according to logs) but the LCD screen stays switched off, anyone got this working or knows what the problem could be?

-inbuilt Touchpad (SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad):

recognized and works fine, including the simulated scroll wheel

-inbuilt Sata HDD:

works in Sata native mode (no need to switch to 'compatible' in BIOS), uses sata_via kernel module

That's about it, generally I'm very happy with the Mini-Note, the aluminium casing is really solid, the screen looks gorgeous, the sound quality of the speakers is the best I have heard on a laptop and the keyboard is the best of any Netbook.

The Mini-Note get's quite warm but no more than my Toshiba Libretto U100 does (I guess the aluminium casing is more heat conductive than the plastic casings of other Netbooks, but this means the heat get's expelled more efficiently, which is good) and the fan is very quiet IMHO.

I was worried about reports of the screen being quite reflective, but haven't found that to be a problem.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from other Mini-Note + Mandriva users here, feel free to ask if you have any problems and I will try and help you if I can.

Edited to update some info.

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

Edited by tux99

Great useful post, thanks! Did you also upload the system info to the HCL, http://hcl.mandriva.com ? The first time wizard offers to help you with that.

A note on the graphics - VIA has said it will contribute to and support development of the openchrome driver in future, presumably dropping the proprietary driver, so we (really, I, I'm the one who mostly looks after Chrome stuff in MDV) are just planning to stick with the openchrome driver. I need to check on the status of the DRI driver development (that's what actually determines 3D support, not any code in openchrome itself).

2 questions

if you dont mind, what did you pay for the mini note?

2 - did you get linux running on the libretto? I always was fascinated by those things.

j

1- I paid the equivalent of about 360 US dollars for the Mini-Note (taxes and shipping included).

2 - Yes, I have Mandriva 2008.0 running on the U100 since I bought it (second hand), the installation was really straight forward (as the U100 came with the DVD-RW dock, too), all hardware works fine with Mandriva (except the useless finger-print scanner and I have never tested bluetooth).

The Libretto U100 is still superior to any Netbook including the Mini-Note, as the Pentium-M 1.2Ghz is still a lot faster than the VIA C7 or the Intel Atom, subjectively it feels as fast as my 2.5Ghz P4 desktop, although the screen of the Mini-Note is even better as it's the same resolution, but larger.

I actually got the Mini-Note for my wife, so I can have my U100 back! ;)

Great useful post, thanks! Did you also upload the system info to the HCL, http://hcl.mandriva.com ? The first time wizard offers to help you with that.

I didn't as I didn't have my Mandriva account details at hand when I got to that point of the installation. Why does it ask for the Mandriva account details anyway, I think if you would make submitting from the wizard anonymous, you would get a lot more submissions!

A note on the graphics - VIA has said it will contribute to and support development of the openchrome driver in future, presumably dropping the proprietary driver, so we (really, I, I'm the one who mostly looks after Chrome stuff in MDV) are just planning to stick with the openchrome driver. I need to check on the status of the DRI driver development (that's what actually determines 3D support, not any code in openchrome itself).

Yes I read about that and I'm pleased about it, thing is, the Suse installation that the Mini-Note came with, uses the binary VIA driver and I noticed that Flash video playback (youtube) is smooth with it, while with the opencrome driver it's not completely smooth (embedded in the web page, full screen is completely unwatchable), it's ok, but every 5-10 seconds I notice a glitch, like if it skips a frame or so, I have tried disabling as many other processes as possible (including pulseaudio) but I couldn't get it completely smooth (mpeg and wmv playback with totem is fine, completely smooth, even full screen).

I even upgraded the Flashplayer 9 Mandriva package to the Flashplayer 10 from adobe.com but it still didn't solve the problem.

I think therefore as an interim solution, to give users a choice it would still be great if we could have the binary VIA driver packaged up for Mandriva 2009 (at the very least to be on par with Ubuntu, as there is a Ubuntu version!).

Obviously the best solution would be if you collaborate with Adobe to get the Flash player improved, the Linux version is really badly written, it uses waaay too much cpu when playing back videos, compared to any other Linux video playback software...

Edited by tux99

"I think therefore as an interim solution, to give users a choice it would still be great if we could have the binary VIA driver packaged up for Mandriva 2009 (at the very least to be on par with Ubuntu, as there is a Ubuntu version!)."

I agree it'd be nice, and if it were like the NVIDIA or ATI drivers - it came with an interface you could build to make it work on any distro - I'd do it. But it doesn't, so getting it would involve politics (i.e. find the right person to ask at VIA to get them to build a version for Mandriva), which is much more painful. Which is why it hasn't been done yet.

Of course, if you managed to get VIA to build a Mandriva version of the driver, I'd be happy to package it...

Just an update:

I have now replaced the Hitachi 120GB 2.5" hdd that the Mini-Note came with, with an 8GB Transcend Sata SLC SSD:

TS8GSSD25S-S - http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=177

I had planned to do this from the beginning and specifically didn't buy any Netbook that already comes with a SSD, as those generally use MLC flash, while I wanted to use the much better/faster SLC flash.

I have noticed some big increases in disk performance, most strikingly a full fsck (e2fsck -f /dev/sda1) of the same identical 7.5GB Mandriva system partition (dd'ed over from the hdd to the ssd) now takes only 14 seconds instead of 81 seconds!!

Given this blindingly fast fsck I don't regret at all that I now have to use ext2 instead of ext3, to reduce SSD wear.

Boot up time (from pressing the power on buttom to getting the kdm login screen) hasn't changed a lot, it now takes about 40 seconds instead of 50, I assume that at boot, disk performance is not the main factor.

I think this 8GB SLC SSD is perfect for the Mini-Note, as with 2GB RAM the Mini-Note doesn't need a swap partition and the robustness of the SSD complements the overall robustness of the Mini-Note very well, making it a good everyday laptop that can be taken everywhere and doesn't mind being treated carelessly, while for data storage there is the SD slot and the Expresscard slot (can take CF cards with an adapter).

Edited by tux99

is the u100 youre dealing with the same as the 100ct?

again, i dont know THAT much about them, but i LIKE the idea of getting one for pocket linux MDV!

The Libretto 100ct is a 10 year old Pentium 166MMX with 32M RAM, it was great at the time but these days it's a bit limited, the U100 on the other hand is a Pentium M 1.2Ghz from 2006, which can still outperform most/all current Netbooks, see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libretto_(notebook)

Because of this, a second hand U100 on ebay still generally goes for as much or more than many current Netbooks cost new.

If you would like to discuss the Libretto and Mandriva on the Libretto further it would be better to create a new dedicated thread for that.

• 2 weeks later...

You say thay you are able to have the screen running. Well, i've installed mandriva one, and i haven't been able to change the 640x480 resolution. Although I select 1024x600, and others in the Mandriva Control Center, when I press the button to test the resolution, it shows always the same, 640x480. If I try with the GUI called configuring your desktop (the button next to the mandriva control center), if i select the screen, the only option is 640x480. Help please!

I don't know much about Mandriva One (is it the 2009 version or an older one?), although if you have installed it onto the hard disk (not running from live-CD) then it should be basically the same as the PowerPack version that I use.

I would check first of all that you are using the correct X driver, do the following command on a console:

grep OPENCHROME /var/log/Xorg.0.log

In the MCC you should have selected "VIA Chrome9-based cards" as Graphic Card, do you have this?

Guest dkennedy

Well I got the HP 2133 and opted for Mandriva 2009.

I got the webcam working using videoview

I got wifi working following this information: http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=...2d140c04002083f

So far so good except for one thing...the main reason I got the HP 2133 in the first place. I need cisco vpn to work. For the life of me I can't get it to work. Every forum I go to they tell me I have to start the service /etc/init.d/vpnclient_init start but I don't have a vpnclient_init. I looked everywhere but I can't find it. I de-installed and re-installed the package with all dependencies but still no dice. I don't find vpnclient_init.

Any help is appreciated.

I don't know much about Mandriva One (is it the 2009 version or an older one?), although if you have installed it onto the hard disk (not running from live-CD) then it should be basically the same as the PowerPack version that I use.

I would check first of all that you are using the correct X driver, do the following command on a console:

grep OPENCHROME /var/log/Xorg.0.log

In the MCC you should have selected "VIA Chrome9-based cards" as Graphic Card, do you have this?

Hello again.

Yes, the Mandriva One is the same that Powerpack, except for the use of propietary mp3 decoders for example, and things like this. Both are Mandriva 2009.

The command you told me gives the result:

(II) OPENCHROME: Driver for VIAChrome cipsets: CLE266, KM400/KN400

In the MCC I have the VIA Crome9-based cards.

NO matter what i put in my xorg.conf. The only option selectable in the panel is 640x480, no matter what i select in MCC (now 1024x600)

The command you told me gives the result:

(II) OPENCHROME: Driver for VIAChrome cipsets: CLE266, KM400/KN400

In the MCC I have the VIA Crome9-based cards.

NO matter what i put in my xorg.conf. The only option selectable in the panel is 640x480, no matter what i select in MCC (now 1024x600)

Do you have the Mini-Note with the WXGA (1280x768) or the WSVGA (1024x600) screen?

Ok, it looks like you are using the correct driver, here is my xorg.conf (WXGA screen), try replacing yours with it and let us know if that helps.

(you might want to change the keyboard section to match your layout and I also have an additional USB mouse configured)

# File generated by XFdrake (rev 247269)

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the xorg.conf man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerFlags"
#DontZap # disable <Ctrl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work
#DontZoom # disable <Ctrl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
EndSection

Section "Module"
Disable "dri"
Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx" # 3D layer
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard1"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "ch(de)"
Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "SynapticsMouse1"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor1"
VendorName "Generic"
ModelName "Flat Panel 1280x768"
HorizSync 31.5-90
VertRefresh 60
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x768"

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576"	 50.00  768  832  846 1000   576  590  595  630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576"	 63.07  768  800  960 1024   576  578  590  616

# modeline generated by gtf(1) [handled by XFdrake]
ModeLine "1280x768_120"  173.82  1280 1376 1520 1760  768 769 772 823  -HSync +Vsync

ModeLine "1280x768_100"  141.96  1280 1376 1512 1744  768 769 772 814  -HSync +Vsync

ModeLine "1280x768_85"  118.53  1280 1368 1504 1728  768 769 772 807  -HSync +Vsync

ModeLine "1280x768_75"  102.98  1280 1360 1496 1712  768 769 772 802  -HSync +Vsync

ModeLine "1280x768_60"  80.14  1280 1344 1480 1680  768 769 772 795  -HSync +Vsync

ModeLine "1280x768_50"  65.18  1280 1336 1464 1648  768 769 772 791  -HSync +Vsync

ModeLine "800x480_120"  66.25  800 848 936 1072  480 481 484 515  -HSync +Vsync

ModeLine "800x480_100"  53.75  800 840 928 1056  480 481 484 509  -HSync +Vsync

ModeLine "800x480_85"  44.64  800 840 920 1040  480 481 484 505  -HSync +Vsync

ModeLine "800x480_75"  38.55  800 832 912 1024  480 481 484 502  -HSync +Vsync

ModeLine "800x480_60"  29.58  800 816 896 992  480 481 484 497  -HSync +Vsync

ModeLine "800x480_50"  24.16  800 808 888 976  480 481 484 495  -HSync +Vsync