Restoring CDs to Software Sources Manager [SOLVED]

Andrewski

Hi, I recently removed my CDs from my Software Sources Manager as per the instructions on EasyUrpmi. It told me to use urpmi.removemedia -a to remove all my previous sources, including my CDs. Now I'd like them back; I want to install KDE and it seems silly to do via the Internet, when I have it all on my CDs.

How do I add them back? I tried the following:

Type: Removable device

Name: Mandrake CD1

Path or mount point: /mnt/cdrom

Relative path to synthesis/hdlist: Mandrake/RPMS/

Am I doing something wrong?

in addition to what anon said, it is important that you insert each installation cd before you go to update each source. it will then read the cd & add the contents to your sources. also, during this procedure, you can name each cd source to your liking. that third "international" cd always bothered me, so i just renamed mine to cd1, cd2, cd3. but, you can name them to whatever floats your boat.

Chris

I inserted each CD, and did what anon said, and still it would give me the error:

Unable to update medium; it will be automatically disabled.

If I'm catching it correctly, it says "Examining file hdlist1.cz... failed!" Where exactly is the hdlist file supposed to be? I see hdlist1, 2, and 3 on the first CD, but how can I update all of them without the file on each? And why is the first CD still not working?

Edit: I tried the update button (updating all three) with CD1 in; it seemed to work, getting the hdlist files for each. Then urpmi kde (as that's what I'm ultimately trying to install), and the following came up:

[root:andrew]# urpmi kde

unable to access hdlist file of "Mandrake CD3", medium ignored

unable to access hdlist file of "Mandrake CD1", medium ignored

The following packages contain kde: kdepim kdemultimedia kdetoys kdesdk kdegames kdemultimedia-devel kdegames-devel kdeartwork-kde-classic kdebase-nsplugins kdevelop kdeutils kdeadmin

[root:andrew]#

What's that mean?

the easy way that i added my cd sources were:

open MCC

choose "software sources manager"

remove your current cd sources

insert cd1

mount the drive

click "add"

click "new removable media source"

set the path to your cd source

name it

click "add" or "save" or "update" (sorry, i forget what it's labeled)

it will then add the source from the cd you have inserted. remove that cd & follow the same steps for the other 2 cd's.

it should work. speaking of work, i'm at work & it's lunch time. gotta go.

Chris

OK, I got this:

[root:andrew]# urpmi.addmedia removable_cdrom_0://mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS

unable to access hdlist file of "Mandrake CD3", medium ignored

unable to access hdlist file of "Mandrake CD1", medium ignored

usage: urpmi.addmedia [options] <name> <url> [with <relative_path>]

etc...

Is something wrong with my CD?

there ought to be a file named hdlist.cz, or something like this, on each CD (sorry, I don't have the CDs with me now). If it is in the same folder as the rpms, then the relative path is simply hdlist.cz. If it is in its parent folder, the path is ../hdlist.cz. If it is in a subfolder of the parent folder, it is ../SUBFOLDER/hdlist.cz. etc.

If you have HD space to spare, you could copy all the rpms from the CDs into a folder and then go into that folder and do

genhdlist ./

this creates a hdlist.cz in the folder. Then, as root,

urpmi.addmedia distribution file://the-path-to-the-folder with hdlist.cz

having the rpms on a spare partition makes life a lot easier b/c faster.

there should be nothing wrong with your cd's if you've been using them without a problem up to this point. Andrewski, are you more comfortable with terminal or a gui interface? that's why i suggested doing this through MCC. that way it should be fool proof (or Chris proof :wink: ). this is the exact way i reinstalled my cd sources when i did the exact oops you did (urpmi.removemedia -a :oops: ) i'm not in front of my Linux machine, but from memory, the exact steps should be as i posted above. also, if you have supermount enabled, then you can ignore the part about mounting the drive.

1. go to terminal

2. su to root

3. type mcc & hit enter

4. open software sources manager

5. insert cd1

6. mount the cdrom drive containing that cd if supermount is not enabled

7. highlite any/all cd sources you see there & click "remove" to remove your old cd sources

8. click "add"

9. chose the "new removable media source" button

10. instead of typing the source, browse to it & click "ok" or "save" (should be /mnt/cdrom, cdrom0, cdrom1, cdrom2, etc. depending on which cdrom drive you have the cd in)

11. choose a name for that cd source

12. (this is where i'm hazy) click "save" or "update" or "ok", whatever the button says beside "cancel"

it should then tell you it's reading the source, downloading the packages, updating the source. follow that same procedure for each remaining cd. when it's all done, make sure you click the boxes beside each cd source you created & click "save & quit". it all should be good to go then. if anything went wrong, since you were running MCC from terminal, you will be able to see an error report. if you do get an error report, post it back here. i don't know why it wouldn't work following these instructions. if it doesn't, then somebody else will have to take over here. :?

Chris

I would also do

urpmi.removemedia -a

again. Obviously, something went wrong when you tried to add CD1 and CD3 - otherwise, you wouldn't get those error messages.

Edit: btw,

urpmi.addmedia CD1 removable://mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS (or whatever the exact path to the rpms folder is)

should do it. I think anon made a typo above.

there should be nothing wrong with your cd's if you've been using them without a problem up to this point. Andrewski, are you more comfortable with terminal or a gui interface? that's why i suggested doing this through MCC. that way it should be fool proof (or Chris proof :wink: ). this is the exact way i reinstalled my cd sources when i did the exact oops you did (urpmi.removemedia -a :oops: ) i'm not in front of my Linux machine, but from memory, the exact steps should be as i posted above. also, if you have supermount enabled, then you can ignore the part about mounting the drive.

1. go to terminal

2. su to root

3. type mcc & hit enter

4. open software sources manager

5. insert cd1

6. mount the cdrom drive containing that cd if supermount is not enabled

7. highlite any/all cd sources you see there & click "remove" to remove your old cd sources

8. click "add"

9. chose the "new removable media source" button

10. instead of typing the source, browse to it & click "ok" or "save" (should be /mnt/cdrom, cdrom0, cdrom1, cdrom2, etc. depending on which cdrom drive you have the cd in)

11. choose a name for that cd source

12. (this is where i'm hazy) click "save" or "update" or "ok", whatever the button says beside "cancel"

it should then tell you it's reading the source, downloading the packages, updating the source. follow that same procedure for each remaining cd. when it's all done, make sure you click the boxes beside each cd source you created & click "save & quit". it all should be good to go then. if anything went wrong, since you were running MCC from terminal, you will be able to see an error report. if you do get an error report, post it back here. i don't know why it wouldn't work following these instructions. if it doesn't, then somebody else will have to take over here. :?

OK, good idea on starting MCC from the CLI. (BTW, I'm plently comfortable with the command line.) Here's my result from adding CD1:

added medium Mandrake CD1

copying source hdlist (or synthesis) of "Mandrake CD1"...

...copying done

examining hdlist file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.Mandrake CD1.cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.Mandrake CD1.cz]

unable to parse hdlist file of "Mandrake CD1"

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Mandrake CD1.cz]

problem reading synthesis file of medium "Mandrake CD1"

write config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]

Looks like it can't read the file?

there ought to be a file named hdlist.cz, or something like this, on each CD (sorry, I don't have the CDs with me now). If it is in the same folder as the rpms, then the relative path is simply hdlist.cz. If it is in its parent folder, the path is ../hdlist.cz. If it is in a subfolder of the parent folder, it is ../SUBFOLDER/hdlist.cz. etc.

Yes, there ought to be, but all the files (hdlist1, hdlist2, and hdlist3.cz) are on CD1, in the path (relative to the RPMs) ../base/hdlist*.cz, as anon put above.

try this. as root

urpmi.addmedia -f CDnumber removable://mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/rpms

(or whatever the exact path is)

make sure you give the option -f. This option should generate the hdlist file instead of trying to read it from the CD. (all it does is read the informations from the packages and then put them together into a single file called hdlist.cz)