Adam's Leaving

David Batson

Apparently the Mandriva organisation didn't have the guts to show my post and I supected they wouldn't so I took the precaution of copying the web page.

QUOTE:-

John Bujack Says: Your comment is awaiting moderation.

December 4th, 2008 at 7:19 am

Ditto to GreyGeeks wise words.

Mr Herve Yahi,

Yes you have proven that in 30 days you have not the slightest grasp of the Mandriva community because if you did have even a slight grasp of that community, you would have known how universally respected Adam Williamson is. Not because he was “Mister Niceguy†(which he undoubtedly is) but because of his tireless efforts in working for users and their problems but also for creating the all important liaison between the Mandriva community, the outside world and the Mandriva organisation itself, especially so in the world outside of France. I venture to say that he single handedly made Americans, Britons, Australians and Germans (and other countrys as well ) much more aware of the existence of Mandriva.

You talk of a “community templateâ€. What more proof does one need to realise “you just don’t get itâ€. The Linux/Mandriva community is not one that you can shape or “template†up to suit yourself. Linux OSs that have tried that stunt in the past have long since disappeared, thank goodness. Without the Mandriva community, Mandriva will die. Without someone such as Adam Williamson to help keep that Mandriva Community alive and flourishing then Mandriva will surely die no mater how smart and clever you think you are.

Your OEM objectives wont save you.

I’ll bet you never expected so much flak over sacking Adam Williamson. It proves how inept you were

I hope you will have sense to listen to our Mandriva Community. However I will not be holding my breath, because I believe you are typical of the big time exec that pretends to listen to alternate views but never has any intention of changing their intention. Go on, prove me wrong. I will be happy to be proven wrong.

John Bujack (73yrs young and Mandriva user for past 5.5 years)

I don't think I have to add to it. They can't stand criticism.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't have worded it better, John. Your post very much reflects what I am thinking. Mandriva will, because of some moron, go downhill again - very fast. And that's a pity.

Don’t it always seem to go

That you don't know what you’ve got

‘Til it's gone

They paved paradise

And put up a parking lot

They took all the trees

And put them in a tree museum

Then they charged the people

A dollar and a half just to see 'em

Don't it always seem to go,

That you don't know what you’ve got

‘Til it’s gone

They paved paradise

And put up a parking lot

Good Luck Adam.. im sure you'll find another Job soon enough, could always apply to be a developer over in fedora/Redhat? :)

sabz: already waiting to hear back from them. :)

http://www.newmobilecomputing.com/comments/20596

I had a long talk with my brother in law recently about paying for distros, and it talk was distros in general, Linux, Windows or Mac.

He accused me for being a very strange person, because I don't want to pay 200$ for Windows Vista which maybe can be used for several years, if I'm lucky :), but I'm willing to pay 100$ every year for Mandriva, because I don't have to pay for it.

And yes it seems strange, but I do belive in the freedom of Linux, and I love to use a distro where I don't have to pay for every usefull program aka Gimp, Quanta, OpenOffice and a lot of other packages, I do know I can get a lot free packages to Windows, but I love using them on a free distro where they runs, just as fine as they do on Windows distro.

The day this tread was postet the first time, I was actually going to buy Mandriva Powerpack again, I don't use it, but I would pay for the third time to support a great distro, but when I saw that Adam Williamson had been sacked, I just stoped to think about what I wanted to do next, and the conclusion is that I'll find another distro to use, I do't know which yet but proberly OpenSuse.

Thanks Adam for your friendly support, I hope another distro will contact you to get your help, they will not be disapointed.

As I posted in the official forums:

I can't control anyone's reaction, of course, but I'd be really sad if this led to pain for Mandriva, the distribution. I've always been here, doing this job, because I love Mandriva the distribution and the community. I'm going to stick around those as long as they're still here, and I'd be really happy if the rest of you guys do that too. Whatever problems the company has, Mandriva to me is first and foremost a bunch of great, crazy people who believe we can make the best operating system in the world with a few dozen engineers and a lot of duct tape, and we're doing pretty damn well at it, I like to think. So I want that to keep going as long as it can.

I'm still working my ass off on 2009 Spring, and I hope it'll be a great release, and you guys will all be around to use it.

Who will take care of Bugzilla after this, before you Adam, that wasn't Mandriva/Mandrakes force, many of us felt ignored at bugzilla, well I haven't in there yet, but uses it a lot to find solutions for any kind of problems I can have with a new version.

I still haven't decided yet which distro to use, think I stick to Mandriva for while yet, but I'll try of another distros so I can get used to them before I take the final decision to stop using Mandriva.

Mandriva are still the easiest distro yet, and I love to use it, and so do my 6 year old daugther after I got the Rataouille game running on Mandriva ;)

Edited by orts

Fantastic Adam.

Like I said I will stick with Mandriva until it is no longer feasible.

I see you are devoted to Mandriva as I am, that is why I am so angry at anything which seems to threaten the long term of Mandriva, and also the way you and your colleague have been treated.

Cheers. John.

As I posted in the official forums:

I can't control anyone's reaction, of course, but I'd be really sad if this led to pain for Mandriva, the distribution. I've always been here, doing this job, because I love Mandriva the distribution and the community. I'm going to stick around those as long as they're still here, and I'd be really happy if the rest of you guys do that too. Whatever problems the company has, Mandriva to me is first and foremost a bunch of great, crazy people who believe we can make the best operating system in the world with a few dozen engineers and a lot of duct tape, and we're doing pretty damn well at it, I like to think. So I want that to keep going as long as it can.

I'm still working my ass off on 2009 Spring, and I hope it'll be a great release, and you guys will all be around to use it.

I have been using Mandriva for so many years now, that I certainly wouldn't give up on it easily. I think worst case (although I hope we don't have to get to that point), we could always continue the Mandriva distro (the name would probably have to change for trademark reasons) as a community distro, I know it's not an easy task but I think there is enough talent around to be able to do that, I would be willing to help as far as I can.

we could always continue the Mandriva distro (the name would probably have to change for trademark reasons) as a community distro, I know it's not an easy task but I think there is enough talent around to be able to do that, I would be willing to help as far as I can.

I have been chewing over the very same thoughts since this affair started. The next question is what does one need to maintain a distro, as in disk space etc. Aso the very big question I have asked myself, what does it take to produce and maintain a distro?

I have been chewing over the very same thoughts since this affair started. The next question is what does one need to maintain a distro, as in disk space etc. Aso the very big question I have asked myself, what does it take to produce and maintain a distro?

I would imagine at the very least it needs one person with a PC (hard disk space shouldn't be an issue with the cost of drives these days) and an internet connection (to download the sources) and loads of spare time.

Obviously the more people are involved the less time each has to dedicate to it, but more people adds time required to coordinate the individual efforts.

Given the right group of people (skilled and 'can do' attitude without too many ego-clashes ;) ), it should be doable without using up too much time (as in: no live left, besides mantaining the distro...) for too many people.

I would much rather prefer if Mandriva continues to do the distro, as they have done up to now and I continue to be willing to pay for that (by buying the Powerpack subscription) as I have done so far.

Edited by tux99