Adam's Leaving

David Batson

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Herve Yahi. Appointed on the 4th November and the halfwit is already slashing and burning. Most likely knows nothing or very little about Mandriva software or the people that have made what Mandriva is. It's just another business to him

I make no bones about it, I have no respect for morons of Yahi's type no matter how many certificates or qualifications they are alleged to have. Yes even morons can be highly educated yet lack real intelligence. Want examples ???. Just look at the people who have been the causes behind the world financial collapses now effecting every one of us in every country. Need I say more ???.

However I also point my fingers at the bigger morons in Mandriva, namely the ones that selected him and appointed him. I suspect that they are possibly trying to quietly bring down Mandriva for some ulterior motive because they are certainly not the actions of people wanting to see Mandriva flourish.

And I certainly won't accept the crap that they are only trying to protect the interests of the shareholders. This is typical of the play often put in place to enable a cheap takeover once the shares have dropped in value, then the top brass walk away with a tidy sum in hand as payment for enabling the take over.

If I sound too strong, I am sorry but I make no apologies for it.

John.

Hey, guys, and thanks for all your support, it means a lot to me :)

There is a way in which it kinda makes sense to get rid of me, though. Unfortunately it's bad news for all you guys. It's possible the company is going to retrench around corporate / OEM work. In which case most of what I do becomes superfluous. Of course, that's potentially bad news for Mandriva-as-a-general-purpose-end-user-distribution; it will come to rely ever more heavily on volunteer contributions as the paid staff work only on things that benefit OEM / corporate products. It would make it important to get something like Per Oyvind's foundation idea up and running.

I don't know if that's what's happening, because no-one's told me. It's probably not something you could say about a lot of companies, but Mandriva is one which really *NEEDS* more strategy meetings. Then at least I'd know what the hell the strategy is. :) But it makes logical sense just going on the information I have, which isn't much. If you look at our financial results, the income from the 'community' unit has been dropping off a cliff for several quarters (which is part of what prompted my infamous Canonical blog post).

Edited by adamw

Adam, you conduct yourself with quiet dignity as usual. Sadly it's a fact of life that the 'valued' employee is in decline. We are nothing more than a commodity to be used and despatched on a whim. It's no surprise you haven't been told the ins & outs, these things usually get told to the media before the employee!! Stand tall, we know your worth, even if Mandriva doesn't.

I wish I could express my 'outrage' as eloquently as John :)

It's possible the company is going to retrench around corporate / OEM work.

It has seemed to me for some time that this was the direction in which Mandriva was headed. From a purely corporate point of view it makes sense. The ethical thing for Mandriva to do would be to make an official announcement of its intention to withdraw from supporting the end user release so that users could start the process of migrating to other distros. (Many users have already done so anyway.)

Unfortunately, ethics and business just don't seem to mix these days. Instead we'll probably find out through some half-baked process such as that by which the decision to terminate external contracts was announced. (The fact that you seemed to hear about this decision from Vincent's blog, suggests to me a degree of incompetence at the top.)

I suppose that I'll stay with Mandriva till the bitter end, but I fear that it may be a very bitter end.

Jim

What an unfortunate development - Adam (hi Adam) has been one of the few people from Mandriva that I've had interaction with, and he's a been very professional and helpful. If Mandriva is going OEM/Corporate, then yeah...this move may make sense (I don't like it anymore than the rest of you). Unfortunately, I'm not sure the OEM/Corporate move is a good one for Mandriva. Red Hat has that market pretty much under it's thumb.

Edited by tyme

It's the only way they can really go. They can't make any money any other way. If they can't do it OEM/Corporate, then well, they won't exist. Providing the desktop, they can't make any money from it, since anyone can get a distro installed on their desktop for free. Not many people buy Red Hat for desktops as far as I know, or any other distro.

You can build and support a OEM/Corporate product side-by-side with a desktop version...

Give the desktop out for free, make it easy/quick to set up with a Mandriva-based server, and you have a package deal.

Edited by tyme

Mandriva always had a tendency of being somewhat buggy and since Adam got hired he workes very hard in getting those bugs, the devs just dont seem to care about but can really annoy end users, fixed; together with his effort backporting and packaging requested packages and adding little but useability wise little extraa like syncing mobile devices has made a huge difference to the feel of Mandriva. I wont even mention the tireless pr work.... 

Without Adam we endusers would have a far more buggy, bland Mandriva with outdated software. For the bugs he helped fis he would be worth his weight in gold if Mdv wants to focus on the corporate/oem market...a very bad decision indeed....