Getting Netgear WG311v3 card to work [solved]

Guest MAB

I downloaded the latest Mandriva mandriva-linux-one-2009-KDE4-int-cdrom-i586.iso from the website.

On my PC, I set up a small Windows partition and inserted the WG311 card with the appropriate drivers and it worked fine.

I then installed the above Mandriva in a dual boot system with Windows.

In Mandriva I opened the Mandriva Control Center as root and went to Network & Internet. I chose Set up a new network interface.

From the list I chose Wireless.

I then chose Use a Windows driver (with ndiswrapper).

I got a window that allowed me to find the Windows driver WG311v3.INF (in the windows\inf directory) and choose it.

It accepted this fine, and then it gave me a window Please wait Scanning for networks.

It hangs from this point on and does not pick up my wireless network and I have to unplug to reboot.

Did I do the wrong thing?

Can this network card be installed like this?

I was so happy and thought Mandriva is great as it walked me through the steps. But unfortunately, it let me down at the crucial point.

If there is another way to do this I would really appreciate explicit directions, as the only reason I'm getting Linux is so that I can use the Internet safely.

Please help all of you Linux maestros out there.

Thanks for responding David.

I tried what you suggested after opening a Konsole and suing to root.

Unfortunately the commands blacklist and sudo were not recognized.

What now?

Looking at how I got a similar Netgear card to work, I had to blacklist mrv8k in /etc/modprobe.conf. To blacklist the driver(s), add a blacklist line for each driver in the file /etc/modprobe.conf.

To add a line to the file modprobe.conf, you need to open an editor as root. KWrite will work.

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata#..._as_root_via_su

After opening Kwrite, navigate to /etc/modprobe.conf and open it. Add the blacklist lines, then save the file. You will need to reboot for changes to take effect.

Example:

blacklist prism54
blacklist islsm_pci
blacklist islusb
blacklist isl3886

Thanks David et al, but I managed to get everything working by following an incredible posting by beesea which walked me through everything, with the result that I am now up on the internet via my Netgear wg311v3 card.