wmv files in Firefox [solved]

menendez

I had to reinstall 2008.1/KDE recently.

Before the reinstall if I was in Firefox and encountered a *.wmv file on the web it would open and play in a new tab. After the reinstall the new tab opens but the wmv file does not play. I confirmed that the Win32 codecs are installed. Is there a certain plugin Firefox needs to pull in the codecs?

I regularly use gecko-mediaplayer in tandem with gnome-mplayer to display such files in Firefox.

mplayer-plugin does not work smoothly since quite some time ago.

The win32codecs pack from PLF is crippled- simply get the full package from mplayer site ( windows-all-20071007.zip ) and unzip it in your codecs directory.

AFAIK the regular mplayer (from the Mandriva repos) is compiled without support for most of these codecs. You can build one yourself, enabling everything, or you can get an alternative mplayer build from PLF, which has support for those formats.

And- so far, the only thing I've found working with konqueror 4.1.X is the latest kmplayer svn... no other way to get streaming media in KDE4.

I got it working with the MPlayer plugin.

Upon checking all the Firefox plugins, I noticed I had both the MPlayer and Totem plugins.

And I noticed Firefox was defaulting to the Totem plugin.

Rather than finding out why the Totem plugin was not working I just uninstalled Totem.

Now Firefox is defaulting to the MPlayer plugin and all is well. :D

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

I see solved. I wanted to listen to the radio watch music videos. If it works in Firefox, please try to run the radio. Here is the address and if you can please instructions. Thanks .... Lex