Better font rendering for emacs (2009.0)?

PurpleGuitar

I love emacs, but the fonts look horrible. Does anyone know if there's an easy way to get emacs to use fonts that look as nice as, say, kwrite? I found a link describing how to build emacs with gtk support for ubuntu, but I'd like something for KDE4 and Mandriva 2009: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=126023. Any tips?

EDIT: I failed to mention that I'm using xemacs. "Regular" emacs uses nice fonts, but I prefer using xemacs since I can easily resize the window to the size I prefer. Maybe a workaround is to make emacs behave more like xemacs, since emacs fonts are readable.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

You can change the size of the Emacs window by adding these lines to the Emacs configuration file ~/.emacs

(custom-set-variables
;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
'(blink-cursor nil)
;;;  I think this should be a single line. Note Width and Height parameters, they give you 80 columns and 46 lines of text in the emacs
;;;  window. Change them to what suits you. And yes, you can cut and paste it :-)
'(default-frame-alist (quote ((scroll-bar-foreground . "white") (scroll-bar-background . "grey75") (foreground-color . "Black") (background-color . "White") (vertical-scroll-bars . right) (tool-bar-lines . 0) (menu-bar-lines . 1) (width . 80) (height . 46))))
'(menu-bar-mode t)
'(mouse-wheel-mode t nil (mwheel))
'(pc-select-meta-moves-sexps t)
'(pc-select-selection-keys-only t)
'(pc-selection-mode t nil (pc-select))
'(scroll-bar-mode (quote right))
'(show-paren-mode nil nil (paren))
'(tool-bar-mode nil nil (tool-bar)))
;; '(x-select-enable-clipboard t))

Alternatively, you can try adding this line to ~/.Xdefaults (again, change the values)

emacs.geometry: 80x46