9.2 rc1 is hitting the mirrors

pmpatrick

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zero0w, where did you hear that from?

Ah well, with my dual Opteron box that im getting in about a month, it should work just fine :D.

Im slightly worried though, will that slow down my 650MHz computer very much? I would still really like to use Reiser4 (gaming will be so much better :D )

Now, this is a quote that makes people really really envious.. a dual opteron? What are you going to use it for?

To be honest, i really haven't figured that out yet, but i am wanting something that will last for quite a while (Because of TCPA and Palladium). umm, maybe gaming :wink: . And if i can learn how to use Blender, maybe some nice 3D rendering.

Well, you know, I tried that once. I bought a brand spanking new 90MHz pentium back in '94 with top of the line scsi system and video card. It had a 520MB hard drive and it cost a fortune. I thought this should last a while. It started showing its age after three years and after the fourth year it was obsolete.

I now believe that it is better to spend half the price and get 80% of the performance and upgrade more often (not a complete new system, just what needs upgrading). I think this is cheaper in the long run and you probably wont miss the missing 20% in performance. Halfway through the life of a top of the line model your performance will be only 60% of a newer top of the line model (or 20% less than the half price system) anyway.

Glitz.

It started showing its age after three years and after the fourth year it was obsolete.

3-4years not at all bad for a PC. Personnally the last new PC I had was a 200MMX, this has evolved in a series of small steps to what it is now (1.3GHz Athlon). Components being replaced whenever there was a really good special offer. :)

Components being replaced whenever there was a really good special offer.  :)

This is my approach to hardware upgrade too. Sometimes I can get a cheaper display card in the second hand market (well nowadays most hardware are much cheaper so resort to second hand market is not very often). Most of my current PC configurations are 3 year-old now but they still runs great on Linux.

It started showing its age after three years and after the fourth year it was obsolete.

3-4years not at all bad for a PC. Personnally the last new PC I had was a 200MMX, this has evolved in a series of small steps to what it is now (1.3GHz Athlon). Components being replaced whenever there was a really good special offer. :)

It is bad considering I paid about $6000CDN for the system. I could probably have gotten a system that was almost as good for about $3000. Up until that point my systems have lasted for about 6-7 years at a time.

Glitz.

As i said  "Because of TCPA and Palladium"

I will not want to buy new hardware when Fritz chips have started being used

For more Info: www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

Well, that may or may not happen and it certainly wont appear overnight. I'm sure you'll have plenty of warning and lots of time to get a new motherboard at that point in time (if it ever happens). It will be a gradual introduction at best and there will be losts of inventory to get rid of.

Glitz.

He is obviously assisting NASA with shuttle flights!

Last time I looked Shuttle's were still using 486's for the FCS.

This only changed with hubble since NASA had by this time given their mandatory 4 years test period for the 486 architecture.

See

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/Dai...bble991204.html

Don't know what theyre using now but I doubt they've progressed much. Most of their technology is pretty old by IT standards.

At the time (Dec 1993) there were pictures showing a pentium laptop whuich was used for video feeds stuck to the flightdeck with tape becuase the shuttles onboard 486 couldn't cope with the video feeds.

No wonder theyre underfunded, it must cost a fortune sourcing those old ISA boards and 72 pins SIMMS.