Auto Mount USB storage

ngust

ngust - If you are seriously intent on this folly I suggest you do the following:

administration/configuration editor/apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount and make sure there is a tick in the checkbox.

The only reason I know this is that that is how I managed to switch the hateful feature off.

Good luck with it - I hope you are wealthy and able to afford lots of new usb devices when you have trashed the old ones.

administration/configuration editor/apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount and make sure there is a tick in the checkbox.

The box was already checked.

I thought that was going to do it. What a mystery this is.

viking777 if you don't use auto-mount how do you mount your thumb drives and external hard drives?

Through the terminal as root? I cannot use the mount command unless I am root.

First, you certainly don't have to mount your removable drives as root, as long as you have set the right hal policy rules: you can mount them as plain user.

All I have to do personally when I plug a removable device is clicking the device icon either at the desktop, or at the thunar side panel. Not that difficult, I think... or maybe not?

Nautilus and pcmanfm should behave the same way, while on KDE4 you have to click the removable devices widget on the system panel and blah-blah-blah... just choices.

viking777 if you don't use auto-mount how do you mount your thumb drives and external hard drives?

Through the terminal as root? I cannot use the mount command unless I am root.

I use Krusader. Krusader is the answer to just about everything in Linux file management and mounting problems. But if you don't want to install it you should try the 'Disk Mounter' applet from Gnome. Just right click the taskbar, select add applet and choose 'disk mounter'. Unfortunately it will also show you everything that is mounted by fstab as well (which is an incredibly stupid way of working) but it will show up and enable you to mount any device you plug in. What is more you will be able to see that you have it mounted and won't be quite so likely to remove it without unmounting it first. I have trashed two usb devices this way that is why I think this feature is so crucially important.

I hope that answers your question as well Scarecrow.