Recompiled kernel twice for ACPI features

Guest Thell_S

Guest Thell_S

No, I haven't tried it without noapic, but I will. I'll also try the cooker kernel to see what effect it has. I don't have anything on the system yet so it won't really matter if I end up hosing it. It just means starting all over again, but with the knowledge that it can be done. I have a weekend with minimal homework to do so I can work on both at the same time. Speaking of which I have to get started on my Calculus homework - 75 problems that need to be done before 10:30 AM, want to help? :wink: Aww why not, you've been helping out just great so far.

I got lilo straightened out. Evidently I desperately need to take a typing course at school. I just used a backup of lilo.config, rebooted, made the changes again to acpi-on noapic, rebooted again and it worked. Why? I haven't a clue. I was just trying something and somehow it worked.

I did notice that on one of the reboots it hung at killing alsa, and I had to hold the power button to get it to shut down, but no biggie at the moment.

Oh well, better get busy, the laptop says that it is charging up right now.

Guest Thell_S

Ok, I have tried it without noapic. I made a new entry in lilo without noapic and that seemed to have no effect on it.

I tried to upgrade to the 2.6 kernel under Downloads/Mandrake/Cooker/i586 (I believe that is close to the right path, but probably not exactly it), but it kept throwing out so many dependency errors that I gave up on it, everytime I solved one it threw out another. Is that what is referred to as "Dependency Hell?"

Getting ready to upgrade to the newer 2.4 kernel at the same location as the 2.6 one. I have also dl'ed the ISO's for 9.2 Cooker to see how it does.

I have yet to find a site that gives me good info on how to configure ACPI after it has been installed. I have seen somewhere that someone else mentioned having a problem calibrating ACPI for their battery, but I can't remember where I found it. I Googled, but did not find it again. I was looking for the commands to enter so that ACPI knows what to do for suspend and such. Right now if I select any of those options to activate the field it wants to know what command to execute. I definitely need to find out how to get it calibrated correctly. Right now a battery that would last 2 to 2 1/2 hours under Windows XP only lasts 20 to 30 minutes under Mdk 9.1. Likewise a higher capacity battery that would normally last 3 hours or better only lasts about 30 minutes.

Oh well, still dealing with it, but at least now I know that I can get ACPI to work on it. Now to figure out all of the bugs.

I tried to upgrade to the 2.6 kernel under Downloads/Mandrake/Cooker/i586 (I believe that is close to the right path, but probably not exactly it), but it kept throwing out so many dependency errors that I gave up on it, everytime I solved one it threw out another. Is that what is referred to as "Dependency Hell?"
Yep. Not to mention the experience user has a hard time getting the 2.6 kernel to work. I would mess with it. Just use the newer 2.4's.

Guest Thell_S

Just tried to do the 2.4.22.1 kernel rpm and it complained about bootloader-utils = 1.2 needed. Tried to use the bootloader-utils 1.3 that I found at the cooker site and it kicked out a list of over 1000 packages that were going to have to be removed in order for it to install, one of which was even acpi. Unreal.