Mandriva ONE 2009 KDE4 int cdrom i586

Guest The Dark Side

Guest The Dark Side

First and foremost, let me say that I'm happy to be here and my learning curve right now looks like a vertical wall of Mt Everest. I have several reasons for wanting to learn Linux, and everything I read led me to believe that Mandriva would be a better choice than ubuntu or Linux Light or one of the others.

I went to the Mandy homepage and downloaded the file name you see in the topic title. I burned that file to a CD using normal Windows Vista Home methods (Toshiba Satellite lappy). Download file size and disk size are the same so that's all good (484,416KB). I then shut down the computer, waited 2 minutes, and turned the computer back on. Caught it in boot stage and hit F2 to get to BIOS and reorganized Boot sequence. DVD-RW is first, then network, then HDD. (it wouldn't let me do DVD/HDD/Net...had to have Net between the two regardless of which I chose to put first, unless Net was first and then the default was HDD as second). Hit F10 to save and exit.

And nothing.

And then it attempted to receive boot instructions from my network (which is a hardwire DSL connection via DSL modem). And then it finally rolled to the HDD and started windows normally. WTF?!?!

So obviously my CD isn't getting read, correct? Have I done something wrong at this point? I read some talk in the online "getting started" stuff that talks about burning a mirror image onto a CD, but the only program I have on the Toshiba that recognizes that is the built-in Toshiba disc-reader that came with the system. So, I pulled out a fresh CD and attempted a "Burn Mirror Image" function. It got started....and went through a small series of sequences until it said "Writing 1 of 1" with a green task bar. But after the DVD burner spooled up, the green light went from the left to the right and I got a "Complete" message and my CD auto-ejected. So I'm thinking: Hey...that was FAST!!! Until I push the CD back in and..........you guessed it:

And nothing.

Going into explorer, it shows my D: drive with a disk in it and named correctly, but it shows 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free. Another CD "bytes" the dust, huh?

Okay...back to the learning curve: what the heck am I doing wrong? Thanks sincerely in advance.

~Headbanging In South Carolina~

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

I don't use Windows so can't really tell you how to burn the downloaded image other that say it must be burnt as an image not a file.

But I can say (484,416KB) for the Mandriva ONE 2009 KDE4 int cdrom i586 iso wrong, it should be just over 702MB (736,574,392B).

Ken

Edited by K Bergen

Guest The Dark Side

Someone on another board suggested Active@ ISO burner and so far it looks like it's going to work great...it isolated the .iso file from the download, but by then I'd burned up my available CD-R's that I had lying around. I'll pick up some more disks today and start over.

Another issue I'm slightly concerned about is that Vista doesn't give me a choice about formatting when I put a blank (new) disk in...is there a way to disable auto-format in the Windows menu or will Vista's auto-format even bother the .iso burn once I get to that point?

Guest The Dark Side

I tried infrarecorder first, based on something on the ubuntu board prior to finding/deciding on mandriva as opposed to ubuntu. Knowing what I know now about .iso image burning, it might have worked fine for me. Unfortunately, as I said before, I'm out of CD's and when I get more, I think I'll stick with Active@, which is also free from http://www.ntfs.com/. I like the Acive@ because it is an embedded executable as opposed to a complete program. Also, it auto-finds the .iso whereas IR does not.

Thank you anyway, though...it's nice to get some responses to this issue I'm having; I've read several of your posts and I'm actually relieved that someone as knowledgeable as yourself is paying attention to a bonafide newbie like me on here. Thanks again, Yves.

As K Bergen says, you need to "Burn Image to Disc". Copying the file to the CD will not work. Also, you DO NOT want to choose the option to make the disc bootable - that is to make the disc appear as a floppy to the BIOS.

After you burn the CD, you should see a number of folders and files. If what you see is the .iso file, you did it wrong. In Nero CD burning software, "Burn Image to Disc" is located under "Copy and Backup" in Smart Start.

am i the ONLY one who posts links?

http://www.pendriveapps.com/category/audio-video-tools/

this page has 3 different "portable burner" apps pn it.

I havent used the 1st one "infra"

fut totally free and deep burn i use a lot.

you notice the site is called portable apps.

these were made to be used from a USB key, but dont HAVE to be.

the idea is that you can run them from soemthing like a usb key and NOT have to install them.

I use them on my wifes VISTA laptop (compaq) as well as at work all the time

they work very well.

and of course has already been suggested. you MUST use the option to "burn and IMAGE" not create a data disk.

its an easy mistake to make, but once you get it down its a breeze!

j

It's only CD-RW's thats need to be formatted, not any CD-R's.

So you don'e have anything to b e concerned about, but however Windows will not give you an option to format a CD-RW, it simply don't now how ;-)