Changing fonts in Firefox/thunderbird? [solved]

neddie

Weird issue with Firefox and Thunderbird on 2008.1, never noticed it with 2007.1.

When I log in, all the fonts in the toolbar, bookmarks bar, tabs, statusbar etc all look ok. I change from UK keyboard layout to German layout, everything still looks ok. I change back to UK layout, and all those fonts get bigger. Not the text of the webpages, just the application fonts. The mail layout in thunderbird goes bigger too (folder tree, mail summaries). All other KDE applications go unaffected.

Here's a screenshot side-by-side of before the switch (how it should be), and after the switch. It might look like a small difference but I find it ugly and annoying.

post-10937-1227481047_thumb.png

Next time I log in it's all back to normal again. Any clues?

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Edited by neddie

Update - it's not just firefox and thunderbird that are affected by this, also Gimp and Eclipse get supersized fonts in the same way (maybe they use the same fonts / widgets ?) KDE apps like Konqueror and Kate and Konsole are still unaffected.

If I log out and log in, or I kill X with a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, everything goes back to normal again.

Any clues anyone?

definitely a GNOME/GTK2 oddity...

Do you have GNOME installed? Try logging into GNOME, and doing the same thing. If it happens there, then it's definitely a GNOME/GTK2 problem - if not, then it may be a problem with running GNOME/GTK2 apps under KDE. Is gnome-settings-daemon running (check with ps -aux | grep blahblah) when you're logged into KDE?

Edited by tyme

Do you have GNOME installed?
Not as far as I know, no. I installed from the KDE One CD and never deliberately installed gnome afterwards. Of course I have several gnome packages, like libgnome2-2.22.0-1mdv2008.1 and libgnome-desktop-2_2-2.22.0-2mdv2008.1. But I can only log in to KDE.

Is gnome-settings-daemon running (check with ps aux | grep blahblah) when you're logged into KDE?
No, nothing with gnome in the title.

install gnome-control-center (i think this is the package name) or at least search for gnome-settings-daemon and install it. Then set up KDE to automatically start gnome-settings-daemon.

[please note my suggestions are just troubleshooting and thoughts of where the problem may be, i have no clue what's wrong :lol:]

• 3 months later...

I was reluctant to install that gnome stuff (and its dependencies) and have extra daemons running, so I've continued to suffer till now.

But today I just read in that free Linux Format magazine about gtk-qt-engine, and how you can use it to set gtk apps to use KDE settings. I did that (small install, no dependencies), and it seems to have done the trick! At least, I can't get it to fail right now and it's usually pretty easy...

Thanks for the tip tyme, you led me to the answer!