Sound volume settings reset when I restart

Andrewski

hmmm.......i had the same problem using KDE at first. but, what solved it was actually a combo of the above instructions. setting Kmix & saving the settings there, then setting AUmix & saving the settings there, too. my volume level is always where i left it when i log into KDE since then. if you are using KDE, do you have the "save settings" option checked in KCC? i think that's what it's called. (i'm at work & not at the MDK machine right now) it's a setting in Kontrol Center that saves your desktop settings when shutting down so they stick the next time you log in. other than that, i'm at a loss. :roll:

Chris

I don't have KDE installed on my computer.... And the problem continues. What exactly does aumix do to my computer's mixer? Is there a file I can edit somewhere? Is there some startup program that I can throw in somewhere (I don't even know where) to have my settings restored when I restart? etc etc....

hmmmm, again...........

aumix should do the trick. when you set the volumes in it, did you make sure that all were enabled? the "line" control is what controls your computer's main volume. if it was enabled, there would be a green light in the button beside that. what dm/wm are you using? if it's not KDE, maybe there's something else that indigenous to your dm/wm that over rides aumix. just guessing there, 'cause the above methods worked for me.

Chris

I use alsa but I tried OSS and this is what sndconfig on Debian put in modules.conf

### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/sndconfig

#alias sound-slot-0 es1371

#post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

#pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

ML won't have "/etc/modutils/sndconfig" or an "/etc/modutils/"....anything, but it should still work.....or maybe not. :wink:

You should have a global /etc/aumixrc and a ~/.aumixrc.