Is KDE3 more functional than KDE4?

boatman9

Tyme is correct in that you can't do this using Mandriva One. With Mandriva Free or the PowerPack version; When you are installing your system (for the first time) and you get to the package select section, select custom, then select a very minimal system with icewm-light. After you boot your system for the first time, use rpmdrake to install: task-kde3 and kdebase-kdm-3. Here's a complete list of what I know will work for you:

[greg@halfway ~]$ rpm -qa |grep -i kde3
systemsettings-kde3-0.2-4.746525.3mdv2009.0
task-kde3-3.5.10-2mdv2009.0
kde3-kjsembed-3.5.10-1mdv2009.0
kde3-amarok-1.4.10-2mdv2009.0
task-kde3-devel-3.5.10-2mdv2009.0
kde3-amarok-engine-xine-1.4.10-2mdv2009.0
kde3-macros-3.5.10-3mdvg2009.0
kde3-kio-sysinfo-1.8.2-10mdv2009.0
kde3-amarok-scripts-1.4.10-2mdv2009.0
[greg@halfway ~]$ rpm -qa |grep -i kdm
kdmtheme-1.2.2-1mdv2009.0
kdebase-kdm-3.5.10-6mdv2009.0
mandriva-kdm-config-2009.0-8mdv2009.0

Now you can boot into KDE3 and install whatever you want.

Edit: kde3-macros-3.5.10-3mdvg2009.0 is one of my backports to develop with. You would have kde3-macros-3.5.10-2mdv2009.0

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy just moved away from Mandriva to PCLinuxOS because of this and urges me to do the same. I think he may have a point.

I was using PCLinuxOS until I switched to Mandriva, in part because there are more RPMs in the Mandriva repository. PCLinuxOS has peculiarities too, as most distros do. One unexplained behavior of PCLinuxOS is that it won't automatically run e2fsck on the bootable ext3 partition (during boot up) every 30 or so mounts as I like to do whenever 'Maximum mount count' is exceeded. Consequently I would run 'tune2fs -l /dev/sda3' and see 'Maximum mount count' =30 and 'Mount count' could be 50 or 100 and no file system check was possible because the main partition (/dev/sda3) was already mounted. In order to check that partition I had to first boot from a live CD. Then I had a new laptop with a wireless card that somehow was not supported by pclinuxos-2007 (the latest full kde version) but worked with pclinuxos-minime-2008, except that minime is so minimal that it's a lot of work to install it with a typical set of programs, so that's not good either. As I never cared much for Gnome I didn't try pclos-gnome2008, but instead came over to Mandriva and been pretty happy here.

Now I plan to install Mandriva 2008.1 which of course has kde3.5, then I'll just wait for kde4 to mature.

When installing 2009.0, is it an option to directly load kde3.5 instead of kde4? If so, many people would like to know how it's done.

As far as i remember there was a choice for KDE or Gnome or something else.

My choice was KDE, and now i have the opportunity logging into KDE3.5 as well as 4.1, this choice can be made, at the screen where i put in my username and password.

I installed from Mandriva 2009 Free.

By the way, there are problems and incompletemnets, i agree.

At the other hand, i am sure KDE is not going to leave it this way.

They will work very hard repairing and extending KDE4, no doubt.

My experenciences are not that bad, and maybe that's the reason my judgement is a bit softer.

Edited by isadora

I have 2009.0 and kde3.5. But the kde4 virus is still on the system also. I don't dare urpme it because I'm afraid that it will destroy other parts of the system. There is still stuff that doesn't work, and every second or third time that I apply updates something else stops working. My buddy just moved away from Mandriva to PCLinuxOS because of this and urges me to do the same. I think he may have a point.

Interesting you should say that RV, I am presently coming at you from Linux Mint 6 rc1 with a Gnome - yes that is right - Gnome desktop. It makes you feel kind of ashamed to admit you are a Gnome user, and why people become so attached to it is beyond me, it is supposed to be easy to use, well all I can say to that is that if somebody thinks that using gconf just to create a keyboard shortcut for a program is easy, that doesn't fit into my definition. However it is better than KDE4 no doubt. Also it is an ill wind that blows nobody any good - after years of searching I have finally found a distro that handles my Mobile Broadband modems properly. I have to jump through several hoops to get them working properly on both Mandriva and Suse - not so with MInt, just plug them in wait for them to be recognised and click 'connect'. I can't tell you how wonderful that is after all this time!

Other advantages are - fast boot up (compared to Mandriva and Suse), I can get Krusader to run on it (although Nautilus has improved a lot since I last looked at it - but by God it needed to!), Synaptic (what a complete joy that is compared to yast, it is so much better than everything else out there), and to my mind, Mint is the only distro I have tried that has grasped how a 'kickoff' menu should work, but the modem thing alone is enough to sell it to me (probably nobody else I agree).

The disadvantages are - well it is Gnome, so bland and uninspiring it is enough to make you weep. I know you can get skins for anything these days but I just cant be bothered with that. The skins included with it are dire! The biggest drawback to me though is that Kshowmail doesn't work and astonishingly it doesn't seem to have a Gnome equivalent either. I consider that program to be absolutely essential on any desktop.

Mandriva 2009.0 with KDE 3.5.10 is still my default distro when I am at home (and not using the Mobile Broadband Modems) but I do intend to use Mint when I am away from now on. I do know that Mint has a KDE version, but unfortunately it is a bit of an afterthought just as it is for Ubuntu and consequently doesn't receive such good support, and of course it too is probably being tainted by the KDE4 virus. I might also have a look at PCLinux, but I thought I would wait until they have released their 2009 version.

Do you think the KDE team aware of the damage they are doing to their own reputation?

boatman,

If I were you I'd leave KDE4 on and install Gnome if you need a stable/solid DE. The reason I say leave KDE4 on is because, eventually, it will replace KDE3 like it or not. I can't say much about it since I've only tried it on an OpenSuse live cd once or twice. I believe the Project Lead once said something along the lines of "pushing KDE4 to get more users to use it and test and submit their results to improve it." I personally think that they could've introduced some of its new features in 3 and kept building on it eventually transitioning to KDE4.

Do make suggestions on the kde bugtracker or forum but most likely you'll get flamed by aron seigo, kde's lead plasma developer or a few kde fanboys, or you are told that this is the new way and to get used to it.

November 26, 2008. The KDE Community today announced the immediate availability of "Caterpillar", (a.k.a KDE 4.2 Beta 1), the first testing release of the new KDE 4.2 desktop. Caterpillar is aimed at testers and reviewers. It should provide a solid ground to report bugs that need to be tackled before KDE 4.2.0 is released. Reviewers can use this beta to get a first look at the upcoming KDE 4.2 desktop which provides significant improvements all over the desktop and applications.

With 885 bugs closed in the past week, the KDE community is now in bugfixing mode in order to provide a smooth KDE 4.2.0 to end users in January.

For those interested, take a look at:

http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-4.2-beta1.php

Edited by isadora

A very interesting read Isadora. The whole feature spells out that KDE 4.1 that was shipped with Mandriva 2009.0 was in fact a beta test version and should not have been taken as a finished product as most of us were led to believe including AdamW.

Had Adam known this I don't think it would have been included in the ISO for 2009.0 and the kde crew could have saved a lot of bad feeling among us all.

So now the truth is slowly emerging.

The same management that has now made the decision to terminate AdamW from Mandriva are the same clowns that made the decision to force the adoption of KDE4 as default for 2009 and for 2009-Spring.

I do not believe for one minute that mandriva was mislead by kde.

Don't bother sending emails and protests to Mandriva. It has been my lifelong experience that the kind of people who make such imbecilic and idiotic decisions totally ignore all opposition. You cannot reason with them. If they were people you could reason with, then they would not have done their stupid actions because they would have canvassed all views beforehand and produced a result more acceptable to everyone.

Unless the present management is removed, I can only see Mandriva totally sinking.

I can't really believe just how angry I am with Mandriva Management at the moment. I just have to cool down.

John.

A very interesting read Isadora. The whole feature spells out that KDE 4.1 that was shipped with Mandriva 2009.0 was in fact a beta test version and should not have been taken as a finished product as most of us were led to believe including AdamW.

Had Adam known this I don't think it would have been included in the ISO for 2009.0 and the kde crew could have saved a lot of bad feeling among us all.

Unless I am missing something big, Mandriva 2009.0 shipped with KDE 4.1.2 STABLE - not a beta release.

So, don't blame Mandriva if 4.1.2 isn't stable enough for you... for me it certainly isn't, but that's a totally different story.

Unless I am missing something big, Mandriva 2009.0 shipped with KDE 4.1.2 STABLE - not a beta release.

So, don't blame Mandriva if 4.1.2 isn't stable enough for you... for me it certainly isn't, but that's a totally different story.

My point exactly. I do NOT blame Mandriva (yet). Myself and I think everyone who uses Mandriva was under the impression that the KDE version shipped with Mandriva was stable. But on reading the article linked to by Isadora the release was NOT stable and still in beta.

You might be interested to know that KDE 4.1.8 (which is what I am using on Mandriva 2009.1 alpha 1) is also called - in brackets - KDE4.2 - Beta 1 so maybe KDE are saying that everything to do with KDE4.1 to date is a Beta - that is what I have said all along (in fact I think calling it beta is flattering it).

Oh and if you think 4.1.2 is unstable then have a look at 4.1.8. I must admit it is amusing trying to guess what quirky little error it is going to generate every time you boot it because they change every time. It would make a nice party game trying to guess the errors at each boot, for example you could play 'guess how many panels my desktop is going to be divided into' or 'guess what colours they will be' or 'guess where the start menu will open' or 'guess what size the start menu will be' or 'guess where the so called 'cashew' will be'.

The answers for todays boot are in order: 4 panels (3 arranged horizontally 1 vertically), 2 blue and 2 green, bottom right hand corner of the screen, dont know as I can only see the top half inch of it the rest is hidden and lastly about a quarter up from the bottom of the screen. I guarantee at least some of that will have changed next time I boot it.

Now before you get your knives out let me say quite clearly that this is in no way a criticism of Mandriva - they have the good sense to call this release alpha1 and I have no quarrel with its eccentricities I have found it all very amusing.