Is KDE3 more functional than KDE4?

boatman9

I recently installed 2009.0 and of course got KDE4. With KDE4 I have not been able to put two programs one above the other in the task bar as I did in KDE3. There seems to be no easy option to add application icons to the panel, and when I did drag&drop one application then it's icon was on the panel but I could not move it right or left. There are more drawbacks, but I won't list them all.

I am wondering if KDE4 is just all around less capable than KDE3, or do I just need to learn how to properly use KDE4? If KDE4 is a lesser program then what is the procedure to replace it with KDE3?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest dumping 2009 entirely. I hate to say it but no way can I recommend 2009, with KDE, to anyone, least of all to newcomers. I have 2008-Spring as my working OS and 2009 as a play around and to see if it gets any better and so far it isn't.

2008-Spring will serve you well when you include all updates.

I know that Mandriva won't like my saying so, but stiff bikkies. They are are going along with the KDE team that is forcing this overrated disaster on everyone who prefers KDE to Gnome. From what I have experienced with 2009KDE, most of the ability to arrange settings as you prefer them has been taken away from you and you are stuck with the formats that kde has decided you can use. I am not going to waste my time or yours by making a list of examples since they have often been listed elsewhere. Some have said that it is just a matter of getting used to change and doing things differently. I would like to know who decided that for me. I have never been afraid of change but I abhor change for change sake. Change for improvement which enables things to be done better and more efficiently is to be welcomed. I certainly cannot see that with KDE4 at all.

I will be changing nothing of my working OS until I see how 2009-Spring pans out. If it doesn't then I may have to learn to tolerate Gnome.

Cheers. John.

I'm with John on kde4, uninstall as much as you can and install kde 3.5. Of course you need to make sure you have all your repos set up or you won't have a lot of the 3.5 apps. After having done that myself it's like running 2008.1 again. So if you want a good solid system re-install 2008.1 and you won't go far wrong.

boatman,

If I were you I'd leave KDE4 on and install Gnome if you need a stable/solid DE. The reason I say leave KDE4 on is because, eventually, it will replace KDE3 like it or not. I can't say much about it since I've only tried it on an OpenSuse live cd once or twice. I believe the Project Lead once said something along the lines of "pushing KDE4 to get more users to use it and test and submit their results to improve it." I personally think that they could've introduced some of its new features in 3 and kept building on it eventually transitioning to KDE4.

KDE 3.5.10 is ATM the best choice for newcomers. KDE4 still needs a lot of work.

Another choice could be Gnome, if it weren't that slow and unintuitive.

Another option is installing, instead of Mandriva, another distro which is still keeping and maintaining KDE3 as its main DE (Sidux, PCLinuxOS, Mepis).

Well said Aussie John. If enough people keep plugging away maybe someone will listen (I doubt it but there you go).

Interesting that you mentioned PCLinux are still maintaining KDE3 as default Scarecrow. It used to be my main distro before I changed to Mandriva and I liked it a lot, maybe it is time to take another look at it.

Kde3 may not be maintained in the future but it will still be here for a while I think. Certainly long enough for a stable and worthy version of 4 to be come available. I'm sorry to say but the kde4 release has done nothing for Mandriva. I have just re-installed 2008.1 so that I have a workable system.

I think the answwer is

urpmi task-kde3

I've just done it my self, it just took 20-30 minutes thne I could log in to kde3.

but you'll have to move your mails if you are using kmail.

I really can't any reason to stay on Mandriva 2008.1 if the only resone is Kde4, it's still posible to use kde3, which has been updated to 3.5.10 after the 2009 release, so it's not every thing on kde3 has stopped.

Probably i did something else on installation then everyone else.

But i have the opportunity logging in into KDE3.5 just after booting the machine in Mandriva2009.

When installing 2009.0, is it an option to directly load kde3.5 instead of kde4? If so, many people would like to know how it's done.

I have 2009.0 and kde3.5. But the kde4 virus is still on the system also. I don't dare urpme it because I'm afraid that it will destroy other parts of the system. There is still stuff that doesn't work, and every second or third time that I apply updates something else stops working. My buddy just moved away from Mandriva to PCLinuxOS because of this and urges me to do the same. I think he may have a point.

When installing 2009.0, is it an option to directly load kde3.5 instead of kde4? If so, many people would like to know how it's done.
You have to manually change the package selection, I believe. ATM I can't recall where in the 2009.0 installation procedure this can be done, but if they still have the overview at the end it can be done there. This, however, isn't possible using Mandriva One and installing to the HD - since it doesn't have KDE3 on the CD it can't install it. Edited by tyme